Customer Service 866.965.0400

Rust spot repair?

notime

Question

Well I finally was able to wash the outside of the car, only took 3 hours...lol

I am sure I will get a little faster as time goes on.

While drying the roof I noticed a rust spot. Since the roof is taller Than I am do not see it often. I want to repair the rust spot to the point where the damaged is removed and protected. The process from what I gather is:

1. Clean and Dry the area

2. tape off area

3. Remove rust via sanding (I pan to use a fiberglass pen)

4. Use some kind of Naval Jelly like product for remaining rust

5. re clean area with a solvent

6. primer (I plan to use Dupli Color) in light layers

7. paint (I plan to use Dupli Color) in light layers

8. after cured polish and protect (revive and quick sealant)

The Rust spot is about 1/4" long. I am looking for any suggestions on changes to process and/or product suggestions.

6 answers to this question

You have the right idea for correction, the key is to remove ALL the rust. If there is an auto body supply store near you, pick up some good quality masking tape and plan to apply paint to an area much larger than the repair.

I would add a clear coat over the painted area as well.

You have the right idea for correction, the key is to remove ALL the rust. If there is an auto body supply store near you, pick up some good quality masking tape and plan to apply paint to an area much larger than the repair.

I would add a clear coat over the painted area as well.

:iagree: Be really carefull, make sure you cover up everything you are not painting so you dont get overspray. I had a spot similar to that and I attempted to fix it myself and it did not turn out so well. It was an actual dent on the hood and I had no idea where it came from. My insurance eneded up paying for it as a comprehensive claim

I am planing on using the paint brush style paint, so there should not be much of an over spray issue. I may get some clear coat too.

I am not to sure how deep it is, but i will find out next week (we are going to be hitting tripple digits hear soon, and I do not have a garge that can fit the car).

I guest worst case, will be that I end up having to take it to a shop for repair.