Customer Service 866.965.0400

1932 Chevy Detail - Questions & Concerns

JBlack151

Question

Hey guys, tomorrow morning I am meeting the owner of a 1932 Chevy that is looking for some work done on the exterior, interior, engine and possibly the undercarraige. When working on these older classic cars I like to meet with the client before hand, introduce myself and inspect the vehicle along with discussing options that can be done and listen to what the owner is looking for in results.

I've done many of older vehicles, however they're usually more street/hot rods. This will be the first that is antique/original style. I wanted to gather all of your thoughts about possible items of concern and things to look for that may pass my mind.

Here's the vehicle. I have not really seen it in person besides a quick shot at last weeks car show. Thanks in advance everyone! :thumbsup:

post-6718-136818081032_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Revive before Metal Polish #1 on all britework.

Can't get too aggressive if the paint is over 50 years old. I imagine a LOT of hand polishing will be done.

Old cars like this are similar to detailing a motorcycle. TONS of work to do, and never know if you are indeed getting enough money for the job.

In and Out Spray will help make any metal look better in this case, that you simply can't.

Feel free to view any of the Shine Crew Threads from the Auburn Fall Auction last year. We hit a handful of geezer cars!

Mook

Thanks MookStunna! :D

I'm not positive but I think it was painted recently. Planned on hand polishing a lot but I will most likely find some correction needed which I'll need to bust out the machines for. And I'm sure the 4" Focus Pads will be needed in all those small areas.

I plan for lots of Revive throughout the car along with Metal Polish. I'll have to search those threads you mentioned as well.

As for the money, I'm not concerned. It's not why I'm doing it. I just love the fact I get to enjoy the time working on these beautiful machines. I already plan on making this a 2-3 day job. I'm going at it for the quality.

John

From the pic it doesn't look original. It may have had a frame off restoration from appearances. I am sure you will evaluate and talk to the owner to know how to treat it with kid gloves. Make sure we get some before and after pics!

Cars like this do present a number of unique issues... one of the biggest annoyances is polishing areas like the inner most area of the front fender between the sides of the hood and the fender itself.

Also, use a lot of caution around the piano hinges on the 'hood'... easy to get excess wax/polish in there, plus those areas usually are very THIN either by virtue of how they're painted or from being opened and closed. So you don't want to get to aggressive with the polishing as you'll show up the primer.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We'll see how thing go after I check the car out tomorrow. I plan on taking lots of pictures while I inspect the car so I can have them for reference when getting ready.

I'll let you all know some more details about the car tomorrow.

I met with the owner nice and early this morning. We went over a lot and the car is in pretty good shape. No leaks, so washing won't be an issue. But I still plan to tackle this lightly. The only main concern with correction is on the panels on the hood. Besides that it's going to be all hand polishing. The rest of the paint is in really good shape. Here are some more pictures. It's going to be a fun project!

Frame off restoration in early 70's

Painted in 1975

DSC_0426.jpg

This is the area of concern for correction!

DSC_0427.jpg

DSC_0428.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

DSC_0429.jpg

DSC_0430.jpg

DSC_0431.jpg

DSC_0432.jpg

DSC_0436.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

Edited by JBlack151