Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine polish in sun/heat

Blazer15

Question

Hey guys/gals.

I've been using Adams products for a couple of years, but haven't gotten into the machine arena yet.

I need to do a paint correction and am on the fence about getting a PC kit. The only reason being I live in south Florida, and don't have a garage.

Any input from people in similar situations?

Thanks

Kevin.

13 answers to this question

Work in the shade, if available. It that is not an option, try working early in the morning. I would say late afternoon as well, but the car is probably heating up during the day, and will not cool off enough to work on.

You can do this in the sun, but you will have work in very small areas. Usually you work about a 2'x2' section, but you may have to try 1'x1'. The polishes flash very quickly in the heat and when used on hot panels, so you may only get 2-3 polisher passes (up-down, side-to-side, etc.) before having to apply more polish and working it again.

Many use the pop-up canopies, if that is an option for you. Or maybe find a friend with a garage and trade a polish of their car for use of the garage.

And remember, you can to this in sections, you don't have to do the whole car in one day. Maybe 1 or 2 sections each weekend morning - polish and wax. Then after it is complete do a strip wash and apply your final protection - sealant, wax, or both.

Don't hesitate about purchasing a PC or Flex kit because of the heat. You have a few options. Take your time and wash & clay in the evening or early morning. Then you can wait for the next morning or the evening to give a wipe down with Waterless Wash and begin polishing. Make it a weekend project instead of a one day job. You can always look into a canopy as well for some shade.

Adam's products will still work great in the heat, you just need to adjust the amount of space you are working on at a time. Instead of doing multiple panels at once you can work on one or half of one at a time.

I recently did a full correction and started the process late in the night with some lights in the driveway. Then came back to work about 6 am to begin polishing. Once I got the Machine Super Sealant laid down and let it cure I returned the following morning to apply Brilliant Glaze and Americana.

There are a lot of Florida folks here so I'm sure they can chime in with their advice. :thumbsup:

im a survivor of a FLEX, 2 day session in a total heatwave on a black camaro.

BUT

next time, i really really want to nail a way to do it in an indoor, large AC'ed workspace.

the heat was insanity - but like mentioned above, its do-able! i used a nice 12' up canopy and even squeezed in some garage time (very tight space, but i had to cool it down)...

v

Make sure you do your test area in the bright sun. You really need the sun to see if you've taken care of all the scratches/swirls. Sure bright halogen/LED lights can help too, but there's really nothing as unforgiving in showing paint imperfections than the sun. Once you've established how much work is needed to get it to your required level of "perfect", you can move it into the shade.

I found a garage to work in!!!

But u have another question now.

Once I'm done with the correction, what would be better, MSS or APW? Id love to do both but won't have the time to let it cure. What about QS? Is a can enough for the hood?

Thanks guys.

I would go with MSS for the best protection. Then next time you wash the car you can always add some APW as well.

A can of Quick Sealant can do multiple cars. You can also do the Quick Sealant, but I would go with the MSS IMO. Maybe use the QS in those hard to reach places too. :thumbsup: