Customer Service 866.965.0400

Practicing wet sanding...?

So.Chi.Goat

Question

Well I'm bored so today I decided let's practice wet sanding or how not to wrt sand....I used 2000 grit 3m paper, flex,pc and the 3 step system...here is the surface after wet sand...

d036269c-db21-cc96.jpg

After Ssr...

d036269c-db42-029d.jpg

After shr and fmp...

d036269c-db61-a54f.jpg

There is still some light micro marring that can be seen from a inch off the paint from sanding...how to remove it...higher grit? Rotary? It looks good but I want to achieve perfection...

Tapa Mobile..

14 answers to this question

4 inch pads after the wet sand then to the flex. You can buy a microfiber wool pad and pages 105 will pull up 1500 grit but be careful because it can take a lot of clear with it

Ok, Lets talk turkey for a sec...

Your have a few variables:

1) Polish abrasives (aggressiveness)

2) Pads

3) Polisher

1) Polish abrasives - the more aggressive the cut the less aggressive you need to be with the other two... down to a Flex... IMHO. That said Megs 101 is more aggressive than 105 (notoriously dusty and a bit hard to work with at first), which is more aggressive than 205... on the Adams scale Megs 105 is higher than SSHR, with 205 prolly being between SHR and FMP... 205 can be "jeweled" down nicely (with a rotary)...

2) Pads - You have wool (most aggressive), various firmness of foam pads, with microfiber pads thrown in the mix somewhere in the middle... I wouldn't start with Megs 101 on a wool pad (without trying it elsewhere).

105 on wool will most likely take out 1500 grit sanding (but maybe take more clear than you need to)

3) Polishers - from least to most ... Dual Action (PC) - Flex - forced rotation to a full rotary... While you may be able to use an aggressive polish on a DA with maybe a MF pads and time and elbow grease... You may want to start with a flex... then step up to a rotary...

Over all you start with least aggressive approach and move to more aggressive, Adams keeps it simple by keeping the variables down... but you may spend more time/effort/elbow grease to get the same results from a more aggressive approach.

Happy detailing,

Mike

What if I don't have a rotary...I got a flex and a pc

Tapa Mobile..

Use the Adams orange pad with the 105. It will take the sanding marked out with the flex on speed setting 5 do 2 passes and finish off with fine machine polish. That should leave no sanding or mating marks

Ok...I didn't see you post about the orange pad before this but I used my flex with green pad and 105 and I am having a hard time finding these scratches...I see some then none...but it most definitely pulled a lot of them out...next up....orange with 105 here's a shot of it now...d036269c-3e29-d380.jpg

Tapa Mobile..