Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dust in Door Panel

indyb6

Question

Hey Folks,

One thing has been bothering me about my car. I get her all nice and clean and let it sit overnight to let all the water in the door panels (where the windows go when you roll 'em down) dry. Next morning I am headed for work, and roll my windows down to enjoy the cool (ish) morning breeze. I park at the work parking lot and roll my windows up, only to realize that there is dust INSIDE the door panel where the windows go which dirties my windows and destroys the clean look of the rest of the vehicle. There is a defined horizontal line on the window that shows how far the window was rolled down. And then below that line, there are vertical lines and it looks like somebody took a sandpaper to my windows.

This has been happening for quite a while now. It scratches my windows and is annoying. I wanted to get my windows tinted, but now I am not too sure. This dust might end up scratching the tint.

Any suggestions on how to go about cleaning the inside of the door panel? Has anyone else had this problem?

I will try to take pictures and post 'em here so everyone can get a better idea about what's going on.

Edited by Chris05GTO

7 answers to this question

I would think that you would have to remove your door panel to clean it out. Has this car been in the body shop? Sounds like it could be dust from a body shop.

I don't know if it has been in a body shop. I bought it used last year, and it was an off-lease vehicle. The previous owner was a doctor. I wouldn't imagine it has been in a shop, but I can't be too sure.

Window tint isn't/shouldn't be a concern b/c the film is on the interior of the glass and that area thats most likely giving you problems is the exterior trim.

Its usually like a felt type material in there, so as suggested gently prying it back and maybe using a spatula wrapped with a slightly damp rag to clean down between the glass and that part might help... the other option is to pull the interior door panel and clean from the inside out.

Window tint isn't/shouldn't be a concern b/c the film is on the interior of the glass and that area thats most likely giving you problems is the exterior trim.

Its usually like a felt type material in there, so as suggested gently prying it back and maybe using a spatula wrapped with a slightly damp rag to clean down between the glass and that part might help... the other option is to pull the interior door panel and clean from the inside out.

Yes, the exterior is the problem area. I didn't even think about the fact that tint film will be on the interior. And yes, there is a felt-type material in there. I will try to clean that and see if it works. Thanks for the suggestions :2thumbs: