Customer Service 866.965.0400

Painted My G8's Engine Cover

GerryC

* Updates on page 3 *

This actually happened by accident. I was detailing my engine bay so it's nice for the Norwood detail clinic on Saturday, and I scraped part of the engine cover. Things were said that I can't repeat on here, and decided to paint over it.

I had to scrub the entire thing with IPA so the tape would stick. Masking took about 90 minutes. When I was done I had what resembled a very poorly-iced cake:

enginecover1.jpg

The tough parts were the thin lines on top and the design around the V6 logo. An xacto knife is your friend here:

enginecover2.jpg

Took it outside for 4 coats of Krylon Fusion:

enginecover3.jpg

After I was happy with the coverage, I waited 20 minutes for it to dry and peeled off a test piece to check the lines. So far so good.

enginecover4.jpg

Brought it back inside to do the rest. Don't need any bird bombs or bugs ruining my day

enginecover5.jpg

It came out far from perfect, and there are a few spots of overspray which I managed to remove with paint thinner and a Qtip.

And installed

enginecover6.jpg

Total time: 2 1/2 hours

Cost of supplies: $11

Neighbors offended: 1

Sure beats spending hundreds and waiting a week. Also that whole sense of accomplishment and yadda yadda.

;)

Edited by GerryC

I forgot these came with an engine cover... lol I took mine off literally when I got it home and it hasn't been on since.

lol

Looks good though! Just enough pop!

Chris

shoulda bought the V8 then :jester:

I would have done that too but this one was literally one of two for sale in my whole state when I was looking. Both were V6's, but the other was an 08, had more miles, and no options.

Oh, and it was black :jester:

Looks good Gerry. I'm wondering how it would look if you masked around the "V6" and painted it a different color so it stands out. When I did mine I painted the "V8" silver on a red background for a little contrast.

DSC_0175.jpg

Len, you gave me an idea with suggesting the V6 being another color. The areas between the white and black are recessed, and this is where much of the overspray is that makes the lines slightly crooked. I am thinking of getting some red and taking a thin brush to outline the white. Here's a crude photoshop of the idea. Any suggestions?

redaccents.jpg

Len, you gave me an idea with suggesting the V6 being another color. The areas between the white and black are recessed, and this is where much of the overspray is that makes the lines slightly crooked. I am thinking of getting some red and taking a thin brush to outline the white. Here's a crude photoshop of the idea. Any suggestions?

redaccents.jpg

That's pretty much exactly what I was thinking about. In my case I went with red as one of my primary colors because I have the onyx/red interior and I felt it tied the theme together, but for yours I think your photoshopped idea would be perfect. The red accents would tie in with the red of the jumper post cover while the black and white tie in with the rest of the car.

My only concern would be peeling due to high temps. I may leave the cover off and just take it with me to shows to put on while parked.

Gonna go pick up some red paint and a pinstripe brush and give this a shot tonight.

I haven't had any peeling issues with mine and it's been 13,000 miles and almost 2 years since I painted it. I used the Krylon Fusion for the red and black and for the silver I just used Testors model paint.

Looks great! Love the red highlights ..makes it pop real nice Gerry.

Mine has not peeled ..I had some cracking in mine due to the heat but sanded and resprayed the clear and its been good.