Customer Service 866.965.0400

Mustang question

Nascar36

I have been wanting to do this for years now, and my dream is getting closer. I have always wanted to order a new Mustang, have it shipped to a east coast dealership and drive it home on the famous route 66 all the way to California. Anyway, I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this and make the drive in the fall. So, now my question to all the Mustang folks out there. I went looking at different Mustang's last weekend and drove the Gt's and I drove one Boss 302. I did not get to drive the GT500 as no one in my area has one, but I have looked on the Fords website and did a lot of reading on them. All in all, I like to looks of the GT 500 the best, then the Boss 302, then the standard GT. But, I am showing my age and do not want a manual transmission. I loved to shift when I was much younger, but now I just want to sit back, press down on the gas, turn on the ac, and drive. So, I had decided to go with the GT model with the California Special package on it, but then the salesperson told me that if I wanted to, I could order the Gt model and then sent it down to the Shelby factory and they would in fact make my Mustang GT with the automatic in to a look alike, and the same power as the GT 500. Has anyone heard or this, or better yet done this. If so, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance to all of you that can answer my questions.

Sounds like a fun idea... Personally, I think I'd start at about the St. Louis area of Route 66, but hey... If you have the time...

You're a bit early to see the soon to be released SUPER SNAKE GT500... Shelby isn't cheap... You'll look to add 25,000+ to the cost of the donor vehicle.

http://shelbyautos.com/images/pdf/2013-gt350.pdf

Personally, I like the Boss 302, but I hate some of the stripe packages they have for it. I'm not a stripe guy though... I like a less in your face car.

You won't go wrong buying a 302... TONS of power which is VERY street able, and a great suspension package.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

The only personal Mustang experience I have as an owner was my first car, a '79 with an inline 6.

However, I do know that for the right price you can order just about anything the way you want it. I have several friends that have ordered vehicles optioned out in ways that you won't find on a showroom floor, website or brochures.

Best wishes on your new toy when you do decide to pull the trigger. You will be well pleased. Every single friend of mine that took this route was. Can't wait to see the pictures.

DX on CM4DX-GB via Tapatalk 2

So, I had decided to go with the GT model with the California Special package on it, but then the salesperson told me that if I wanted to, I could order the Gt model and then sent it down to the Shelby factory and they would in fact make my Mustang GT with the automatic in to a look alike, and the same power as the GT 500. Has anyone heard or this, or better yet done this. If so, I would love to hear about it. Thanks in advance to all of you that can answer my questions.

Nice choice with the Cali Special...i'm kind of bias to them. As for Shelby are you looking for the big horsepower numbers that Shelby has?

But, I am showing my age and do not want a manual transmission. I loved to shift when I was much younger, but now I just want to sit back, press down on the gas, turn on the ac, and drive.

Get a Prius! :lolsmack:

lol j/k I'm getting up there in age as well but I cannot imagine EVER wanting to buy a car with that kind of horse power WITHOUT a stick shift...

Are you planning on tracking it or taking it to the drag strip? If not I would question why to get that much HP? Of course there's always bragging rights :banana:

Cool idea on driving Route 66 though. Something I still want to do one day with my daughter!

Yes, Shelby does do work on your car. It is not inexpensive but they sure can put the Shelby brand into your California Special. Here's the website for their service: Shelby American Motorsports

Also another company that I have used and have been very impressed by is Livernois Motorsports. Here's their website: Livernois Motorsports: Specializing in Late Model Domestic Performance Parts I know that they do outstanding work and their customer service is outstanding. Hopefully this will help in your decision.

Edited by mjhpadi

Sounds like a fun idea... Personally, I think I'd start at about the St. Louis area of Route 66, but hey... If you have the time...

You're a bit early to see the soon to be released SUPER SNAKE GT500... Shelby isn't cheap... You'll look to add 25,000+ to the cost of the donor vehicle.

http://shelbyautos.com/images/pdf/2013-gt350.pdf

Personally, I like the Boss 302, but I hate some of the stripe packages they have for it. I'm not a stripe guy though... I like a less in your face car.

You won't go wrong buying a 302... TONS of power which is VERY street able, and a great suspension package.

Chris

I drove the Boss and enjoyed it, it handled very well. Again, it only comes with a manual transmission so I decided against it.

The only personal Mustang experience I have as an owner was my first car, a '79 with an inline 6.

However, I do know that for the right price you can order just about anything the way you want it. I have several friends that have ordered vehicles optioned out in ways that you won't find on a showroom floor, website or brochures.

Best wishes on your new toy when you do decide to pull the trigger. You will be well pleased. Every single friend of mine that took this route was. Can't wait to see the pictures.

DX on CM4DX-GB via Tapatalk 2

I am thinking I will open a new facebook page just for this trip and post pictures along the way! Cant wait.

Nice choice with the Cali Special...i'm kind of bias to them. As for Shelby are you looking for the big horsepower numbers that Shelby has?

Not looking for anymore horsepower than a 5.0, just the overall package / looks / design of the Shelby. It is a very well designed car with great lines and looks to it.

Get a Prius! :lolsmack:

lol j/k I'm getting up there in age as well but I cannot imagine EVER wanting to buy a car with that kind of horse power WITHOUT a stick shift...

Are you planning on tracking it or taking it to the drag strip? If not I would question why to get that much HP? Of course there's always bragging rights :banana:

Cool idea on driving Route 66 though. Something I still want to do one day with my daughter!

No, I dont think I will do any racing with it. It is just my " getting close to retirement " and " going through my midlife crisis " car. So unless they have a race day for middle age, overweight, and balding guys, I think I will stick to Sunday drives!:glasses:

No, I dont think I will do any racing with it. It is just my " getting close to retirement " and " going through my midlife crisis " car. So unless they have a race day for middle age, overweight, and balding guys, I think I will stick to Sunday drives!:glasses:

Psssh. I'm middle aged and balding, as are at least half of the drivers at my local road track. It's more fun if you've got the experience and skill that the young-ens lack, makes you look like you got a huge set of brass balls lmao

In a mustang fan's opinion I would go GT500 or maybe even a California Special Vert if you are going to do the trip and enjoy it with the top down or up. Can't beat the torque of the GT500. IMO I would not go with the Boss simply for this trip due to the Boss being a track built car. It rev's to 8K and the Recaro seats would not make for the most comfortable long drive I would think.

Not looking for anymore horsepower than a 5.0, just the overall package / looks / design of the Shelby. It is a very well designed car with great lines and looks to it.

Well, another thing you could do is order the front end pieces and tail light pieces of a Shelby and have a body shop remove the stock parts and paint and install the Shelby front and rear parts on your GT/CS. Would be cheaper then having Shelby do the work. Also you could probably get the Shelby hood for your GT. Again, it would cost some $$ but would give you one really unique looking 'Stang!

Sounds to me like the GT is the way to go if you need an A6.

You can buy it, drive it across the country, and then hand it over to Shelby. There's nothing saying they won't do a car with a couple thousand miles on it.

I wanted to thank everyone who commented and sent me different links. My wife and I did a lot of reading and talking and we have decided to go with the GT / California package / 5.0 engine. In the end, we both wanted a auto transmission and really did not need the extra hp of the Shelby, even though we loved the looks. Anyway, red convertible, black stripes, black interior and navigation. We are meeting with our salesperson this morning to place the order. We hope to take delivery by the end of September and start our trip the first week of October. The other thought is he may be able to locate on and have it shipped in, we told him that would be fine as long as it is exactly what we want with all of the options. If that happens, we will start our trip the first week of September. Again, thanks to you all for your help and comments.:patriot:

Sounds like you made a good choice :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Depending on how far your going to drive rte 66, here's what the part of the original road looks like in OK. These were taken along 66, east of Tulsa.

Route66.jpg

IMG_09551.jpg

Small museum, converted DX station near Afton, OK. They have a 1/2 dozen cars stuffed in a climate controlled garage. Worth the stop.

IMG_00011.jpg

And of course the famous Blue Whale...

BlueWhale.jpg

I don't have pictures, but just west of Oklahoma City, there is Pops. You can stop and wet your whistle with just about any type of soda pop under the sun. POPS: Home

Right down the street from Pops is our famous Round Barn. The arcadia round barn

Enjoy the new car when you get it, and enjoy the drive :burnout:

Cool!!

Look forward to hearing what you get and also seeing pics.

You mentioned the idea of shipping the car to the east coast to drive Rt 66 back to the west coast. Just remember that Rt 66 doesn't go from the east coast, it starts in Chicago. :thumbsup: