Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Camera ideas?

JJ Stin

I need a new camera. I had this Kodiak camera, but its 5 years old and I have no idea where it is. Its been lost for 2 years. Nothing great, it was just a cheap one.

I need a new one to post bigger pictures on here, my cell phone won't take bigger, clearer pics, if I zoom it out on my software....its gets blurry and not clear. Unless, someone knows a path to make it a lot bigger without making it look bad while stretching it and making it very clear. Sometimes the pictures I take on my cell doesn't do justice unless I wanna post them on FB.

But anyways, I was thinking about getting a Canon, Kodiak, or something like that. I want a reliable brand that you can trust. My spending limit on a camera is max is $300. I would mostly be taking pics of vehicles, 4wheelers, hunting trips, and going on 4 wheeler trips to take pictures, scenery wise. After you detail a vehicle, I like to take photos of my work, I take proud of what I do.

I would greatly appreciate it, what do yall use?

For a 300 dollar limit, point and shoot is about all your going to get. There are some great ones out there. Here is a link where I buy all my photo equipment. I have a Sony Cypershot as a point and shoot and it has been a great camera. I also have two other DSLR's. I posted a link to Canon like you mention in your OP as well as Sony, which is the brand of Point and Shoot that I have. Iam sure there are others out ther that are good as well.

Page 2: Point & Shoot Cameras | B&H Photo Video

I've had good luck with Sony's point-and-shoot cameras. I find that although DSLRs take much better pictures, I take 90+% of all my pics with the point-and-shoot just because it's easy to always have it with you. Get at least 16MP and my advice is get maximum OPTICAL zoom. You can get 16x optical zoom in your price range which is just extremely practical, you'll see. Most point-and-shoots also offer HD video which is very handy as well.

This would be my choice:

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H90 Digital Camera (Black) DSCH90/B B&H

Get a large memory card (at least 16GB) and get a spare battery!

We have a Canon Powershot SX 150 IS (Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Digital Camera (Black) 5664B001 B&H). It replaced a SX 100 which was broken by my B-I-L (he paid $ towards the new one). I also picked up a SX 130 over the holidays for $99.

The camera's take great pics, have lots of options, but one of the best things is it uses AA batteries. These do not last as long as some of the smaller battery packs, but you can get replacements anywhere and you can use rechargeable batteries.

Thanks guys!

My dad has a Canon camera, not too sure on the model. I think it costed him around $700 he loves that thing. I've heard good things about the Sony Cybershot. My phone just doesn't take big enough photos, ughh!

It'll be a Point & Shoot camera, can't afford a DSLR one.

Gonna be Canon or Sony one. My dad told me his Canon DSLR costed him $1,400.

I can get new tires for that much & Line-X that I need! haha

I'm a fan of the Panasonics because of the quality of their lenses. But for general point and shoot cameras, any of those listed should work well for you. They are all capable of taking solid photos and to be honest, if you find yourself wanting more, then the DSLR is the only way to go but that is getting into a more serious hobby situation. Some of the point and shoot are small and you can put them in your pocket and the others are a bit larger and you need to get small cases to carry them. Other than that, you will get good photos from any of the ones mentioned so good luck.

Random pics of my Droid Razr Maxx, but this is the biggest I can get em.

This is why I need an actual camera.

009.jpg

14.jpg

0731001317.jpg

Last photo is old Envy Touch phone.

If the purpose behind a new camera is just to have a larger pic size than what it posted here - you don't need a new camera, you just need to find a different way or use different settings to get the pics out of the phone. I looked up the specs on the phone camera you mentioned and the megapixel count is more than enough to be able to post larger pics (though color rendition and optics won't measure up to dedicated cameras). Your camera resolution can create pics that will exceed the maximum size allowed here on the forum.

Either you have the resolution of your camera on the phone set to very low or you are resizing the pics to a very small size when uploading to photobucket. How are you getting the pics from the camera into photobucket?

:cheers:

If the purpose behind a new camera is just to have a larger pic size than what it posted here - you don't need a new camera, you just need to find a different way or use different settings to get the pics out of the phone. I looked up the specs on the phone camera you mentioned and the megapixel count is more than enough to be able to post larger pics (though color rendition and optics won't measure up to dedicated cameras). Your camera resolution can create pics that will exceed the maximum size allowed here on the forum.

Either you have the resolution of your camera on the phone set to very low or you are resizing the pics to a very small size when uploading to photobucket. How are you getting the pics from the camera into photobucket?

:cheers:

You pretty much nailed it. I don't see the settings that my camera can make the pics bigger. I send the pics through my email, but it says it has to Re-Size the photos...then I open them up with Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006, then save em. Then upload to them to Photobucket.

Where I have to re-size my photos to my email is this where I'm getting smaller pics?

Edited by JJ Stin

You pretty much nailed it. I don't see the settings that my camera can make the pics bigger. I send the pics through my email, but it says it has to Re-Size the photos...then I open them up with Microsoft Digital Image Standard 2006, then save em. Then upload to them to Photobucket.

Where I have to re-size my photos to my email is this where I'm getting smaller pics?

I have the exact same phone. I haven't messed with the camera settings and the pictures I post are big. I link up my phone to my computer and transfer them directly. I just find it's easier than emailing them. And when I load them up on my computer they are massive. I usually have to scale them down in MS paint to a decent size (500 x 300 or whatever). And then use photobucket to upload them. Not sure what you're doing, but I've never had a problem with it. I've even uploaded pictures using Tapatalk and they turned out great.

You can do what Dan said and attach your phone to your computer to directly download.

Another option, I assume photobucket has an app for the Android where you can upload directly. I know they do for the iPhone and they have settings for the upload pic sizes.

I usually have to scale them down in MS paint to a decent size (500 x 300 or whatever). And then use photobucket to upload them. Not sure what you're doing, but I've never had a problem with it. I've even uploaded pictures using Tapatalk and they turned out great.

you can have Photobucket automatically resize them for you

Once you make a photo smaller and save it, you can never make it bigger again (well you can, but it will just be a zoomed-in low-resolution photo.) By resizing to email them, you've permanently made them smaller for whenever you use the emailed copy. I'm sure the original is still on your phone at full resolution, and as said if you directly connect it you should be able to copy it off the phone. If your computer has Bluetooth, you don't even have to physically connect the phone, just pair the phone and computer together and then transfer the photos that way. My phone is an old, non-smart phone with only a 1.9 MP camera. The pictures I take off of it are 1600x1200. There's no reason your Droid shouldn't be able to do better.

you can have Photobucket automatically resize them for you

Exactly. In the Photobucket upload settings just set what size you want them to be and Photobucket will do the rest. Then all future uploads will be the same size as well until you change the settings again.

I have the exact same phone. I haven't messed with the camera settings and the pictures I post are big. I link up my phone to my computer and transfer them directly. I just find it's easier than emailing them. And when I load them up on my computer they are massive. I usually have to scale them down in MS paint to a decent size (500 x 300 or whatever). And then use photobucket to upload them. Not sure what you're doing, but I've never had a problem with it. I've even uploaded pictures using Tapatalk and they turned out great.

I didn't know you could do that, transfer them directly like that. I just did that & it works! I can't believe I didn't know I could do that. Being a Droid owner for over 3 years! I guess I will save some money & not buy a camera!:cheers:

Once you make a photo smaller and save it, you can never make it bigger again (well you can, but it will just be a zoomed-in low-resolution photo.) By resizing to email them, you've permanently made them smaller for whenever you use the emailed copy. I'm sure the original is still on your phone at full resolution, and as said if you directly connect it you should be able to copy it off the phone. If your computer has Bluetooth, you don't even have to physically connect the phone, just pair the phone and computer together and then transfer the photos that way. My phone is an old, non-smart phone with only a 1.9 MP camera. The pictures I take off of it are 1600x1200. There's no reason your Droid shouldn't be able to do better.

Exactly. In the Photobucket upload settings just set what size you want them to be and Photobucket will do the rest. Then all future uploads will be the same size as well until you change the settings again.

What do you guys use your setting as, I found half my problem it was 320x240. No idea how that happened. But since I changed it to 1024x768.

What does everyone else use??