Customer Service 866.965.0400

TBSS Wheel stripping and polishing?

K5/TBSS

Question

I'm taking a shot in the dark here...

The TBSS wheels are notorious for having the clear on them fade, strip, and generally just look like crap. A number of owners have used aircraft stripper and stripped the clear off, and then polished them to some amazing results. The only problem is then they have to polish them every couple weeks.

My question is do you think this is an ok technique to do, have any of you worked with aircraft stripper? Also... What do you think would be the best product or products to use to then protect the wheels since they no longer have a clearcoat?

Thanks in advance for any information or suggestions.

11 answers to this question

I have never seen any pictures of wheels that have a clear powder coating, however I have read some articles that said using clear powder coating on wheels can sometimes cause yellowing over time compared to the factory clear already on ours.

I figured that's true... Mine's not a daily driver, so I don't mind what would be extra polishing, I just wondered what the next best protectant would be... Thought about quick sealant, and Americana...

My other choice/thought would be Black Chrome :drool:

If your SS is not going to be exposed to all the harsh condtions of daily driving I would plan on stripping and polishing then QS will be enough protection to keep them lasting a while.

BTW, I agree. I would love me some black chrome FR's on mine!! :drool:

It is similar to chrome plating. I've seen some 22 inch Factory Reproductions in black chrome on a TBSS and they look amazing.

Here is a thread from the TBSSowners site that had some for saie a while back.

FS: FR TBSS Black Chrome 22's**SOLD** - TBSSOWNERS.com Forums - The #1 TrailblazerSS Dedicated Owners Forum

Archived