Customer Service 866.965.0400

what now

sdavis76

Question

i have went through the whole 3 step process about 4 times each panel. should i go over it again , order the 4 inch drill pads, or just wet sand the truck? i am new to this and ready to learn. i cant really feel most of the scratches and if you do it is just barely.

S1180024.jpg

S1180025.jpg

S1180026.jpg

S1180027.jpg

S1180028.jpg

23 answers to this question

some of those spots to me look like the clear coat is cracking, my sister has a black 99 tahoe and the clear in some spots is starting to split and raise.

in places there are some crows feet. i never noticed them till i polished. but it wasnt ever really this clean lol

I've tried to use ssr and shr to remove the sanding micro scratches and even with my flex it didn't put a dent in them after 2 passes of each ...one full pass with the megs and it was all gone...but that's all il ever use the megs for that stuff don't smell good and I hate how long it takes to work it to flash...

Odd... I've done it until blue in the face and it works every time. Heck, I've done it with the PC no less, to a correction level finish.

Of course I use a rotary (4 inch pads work great too) to get it to a PC or Flex polishing level.

I've tried to use ssr and shr to remove the sanding micro scratches and even with my flex it didn't put a dent in them after 2 passes of each ...one full pass with the megs and it was all gone...but that's all il ever use the megs for that stuff don't smell good and I hate how long it takes to work it to flash...

This was a customers car...I do 10 light swipes using a soft sanding block...I wipe dry with a towel and look to see if any of the scratch is still there...if it is...a few more swipes and recheck....tape off the area so u don't wet sand too much but you don't want to just wet sand the scratch or it will come out looking tarded....if the sand paper starts looking black your swiping to much or pressing to hard....its hard to tell but a good sign to me the the clear is getting this getting thin is you see the pores in the paint....or craters where you are sanding.....take your time use the pc on speed 6 with the m105 and a orange pad and work it over until you don't see scratches...or sanding marks then finish up with fmp....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

i have a pc , man it sure made a big difference on your explorer. so about 10 swipes with the paper and check to see if your scratch is there is that correct? how many times would you feel safe going over one spot before u began to worry about goin through the clear

Just remember light pressure...while I was practicing technique on some old panels I went right thru the clear not paying attention...never made that mistake again....I do 10 swipes then wipe dry....what kind of polisher do you have....I have a flex and a pc and I swear with the flex you can never tell I wet sanded....

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

1500 grit wet sand then 2000 grit wet sand...3step system...most of it should come out....it's amazing what wet sanding can do....

would the adams pads get out the 1500 grit sand paper scratches? i just ordered the small drill pad set so we will see how it goes i guess

1500 grit wet sand then 2000 grit wet sand...3step system...most of it should come out....it's amazing what wet sanding can do....

ive seen others do it and it did work wonders, myself i have never done it and im kinda scared of messing it up worse than it is. i suppose i could go real slow with it.:patriot:

GOOD LORD! Did a cat use that spot as a scratching post or something? :willy:

What you're looking at there is beyond the scope of what I would call capable of correction with a DA polisher... you'd probably spend a good amount of time with the focus pads even to fix all that. A few are clearly into the base coat a good ways.

Sanding is likely your best bet for damage that severe.

so would you even bother using the 4 inch pads on a drill? or go straight to the sandpaper?

There was really no point in going through the whole 3-stage (if count SSHR, then 4) process. If you couldn't get the desired result with the more aggressive method, then the following polishes were not going to improve much.

That is some really trashed paint you have there :(

GOOD LORD! Did a cat use that spot as a scratching post or something? :willy:

What you're looking at there is beyond the scope of what I would call capable of correction with a DA polisher... you'd probably spend a good amount of time with the focus pads even to fix all that. A few are clearly into the base coat a good ways.

Sanding is likely your best bet for damage that severe.

Archived