Customer Service 866.965.0400

Drag racing, wheel wells, rear fenders

Darth_Emma

Question

Just took my car to the track for the first time last weekend to try some drag racing. We have drag radials on the car and we did some burn outs before launching it.

What is the best way to remove the rubber from the wheels from the rear fender/rocker area and the wheel well? By the way, the rear fender has 3M clear bra on it just behind the rear tire.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Pic from the track...

7720588636_11742114e7_o.jpg

7 answers to this question

check out the new volume 8 videos!

spray the wheel wells liberally with APC, scrub with fender brush. you might need two passes with it to get it all.

as for the rubber on the paint. soak it in WW and see if spraying it with the hose removes it. if not, you can use APC or Tarminator, but it will remove any wax/sealant from the finish.

last resort is physically touching the paint with something. be sure the paint is well lubricated with WW or APC, then with a junk microfiber GENTLY remove the debris from the paint. follow the method Dylan does in the volume 8 WW video on how to move the junk towel along the paint!

check out the new volume 8 videos!

spray the wheel wells liberally with APC, scrub with fender brush. you might need two passes with it to get it all.

as for the rubber on the paint. soak it in WW and see if spraying it with the hose removes it. if not, you can use APC or Tarminator, but it will remove any wax/sealant from the finish.

last resort is physically touching the paint with something. be sure the paint is well lubricated with WW or APC, then with a junk microfiber GENTLY remove the debris from the paint. follow the method Dylan does in the volume 8 WW video on how to move the junk towel along the paint!

Thank you! I must admit, I have not yet watched vol. 8 of the new videos. I had the old videos memorized!!

Off I go to watch...

Thanks again.

I would second on all purpose cleaner and fender brush. Car looks nice what are the mods and times?

I've replaced the whole drive train and suspension in it.

427 LSX twin turbo

4L80 transmission

9" IRS kit

complete Pfadt suspension

The shop finished the mods on the car on Thursday last week. They started it for the first time that afternoon and dyno tuned it that night. The next day (Friday) they brought it to Indy for the Camaro 5 Fest and we made a few test and tune passes. Best quarter mile time was 10.06 and best trap speed was 143 mph. That was running on waste gate springs only. The boost controller is going in soon. It should be in the 9s once we get it dialed in a bit more.

Edited by Darth_Emma

It kind of depends on how much and how hot it was when it flung on there...I have had "streaks" of rubber from burnouts that took a lot of elbow grease to get off.

Like already stated, start with APC and a good scrub. You may need to get a plastic razor blade or other scraper to remove some of the really bad stuff. Thats usually not needed until you have made LOTS of passes with no clean up afterward (dont ask how I know lol)

Also, might think about using painters tape on the rear bumper behind the tires EVEN with the 3M clear bra. It really makes the clean up easy.