Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex Polisher 4th gen Pads Caking

MikeMk6

Question

Hi, I just got my flex polisher 2 weeks ago. It works great and I'm happy that I have to do less work than I have to with the porter cable. With the last job I did, the green pad had a solid caked up around the edges of the pad which did not come off that easy either. It also happens on the orange pad also, just not to the extent it does on the green one.

My question is how do I avoid that, do I need to put more pressure, use less product or more detail spray? I added about 4 pea sized drops when I start a new panel (I think this might be the issue, but I'm open to input).

8 answers to this question

Very good input thus far. Having tested these pads for some time...and by testing, I mean going through every possible avenue with the item in question...it sounds like you may be using too much product. When you are done making your initial pass, look at your pad. What do you see? Still some solids from the polish in there? Just add a trigger or two of Detail Spray, and wake up that polish, if you will.

Continual adding of product, when there is still some left in the pad, at some point will muck up the pad, starting caking the outer rim, and become useless. What were your results like? Do you feel you were having to lean on the machine a little more to get the product to work?

I'm just trying to eliminate things and help!

Mook

Thanks for all the help guys, I find adams forums the most helpful out of many I have ventured into.

I put about 4 inches of polish in the width of a pea sized drop, the results were good and after every panel I would add about 4 pea sized drops (regardless if the pad still has some leftover), but not perfect which is what I was looking for. I think I may be using too much product, I have a detail tomorrow morning I'll see if I have the same problem again and report back.

As for the panels being cleaned I'm not sure if I used enough APC during the strip wash, although I do have IPA on hand which I was using somewhat. I thought that a clay bar would remove the wax from the panels.

The pads were cleaned with APC and hosed down.

I think I may be using too much product though, thanks for the quick input!

Sounds as though you are cleaning your panels thoroughly, so the wild card here is the amount of product being used and how often you are reapplying. Like Chris had said, if it looks as though you still have product on there after a pass, hit that pad with some DS and make another pass. You will find that there was still plenty of life in that polish. And, as a added bonus, saves you product and ultimately money!

If you pad is caked you will notice a decrease in cut as the product will inhibit the pad's ability to do correction/leveling.

It may beneficial to prime the pads lightly before using them and to clean them between panels. Compressed air works the best for me as it still leave the pad primed but removes caked polish, paint residual, etc.

Hey all, thanks for all the input again. I just detailed yesterday and had some caking on the swirl and haze remover, but I think it was from a single stage paint job. The car had some rattle can spray and we have no idea about the history of the car.

When I hit it with the fine machine polish it was fine, I didn't use too much product. So problem solved I think!

I'll probably get the conditioning brush in my next order.