Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratch into the clear

Cjbarton

Question

Alright guys. Im polishing my car again soon, and I have had a scratch that goes along my fender above my front right wheel. When i polished last time, the scratch looked much better but as time progressed it started to look worse (not as bad as before polishing)

Im aware I can't polish this out, but are there any other options besides wet sanding. I don`t feel comfortable sanding my car, im not familiar with the process and don`t want to make it look worse than it already does.

Any ideas or thoughts on what to do?

Thanks for the replies

C.J.

10 answers to this question

th_faf745c0.jpg

These are the scratches. They are light, but they catch on my finger nail ever so slightly. It looks as if a the car was rubbed on by branch or plant.

th_23b0102e.jpg

And this is on the door handle.

There are more pictures of the scratches when you click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures if these dont suffice. Excuse the dirty car and iphone pictures.

I bought the car used, and these were on it. They are the only defects in the paint.

If you don't want to wet sand (which from the discription and photos is exactly what you should do, but I get your trepidation and no worries there) you can polish on it a few more times and then use 2 or 3 coats of Brilliant glaze to try and hide it.

CJ, I took the plunge into wet sanding on my 2010 Vette and the wife's Boxster (2006). After watching a bizzillion YouTube videos, it seemed not all that difficult, conceptually! Practically speaking however, it takes some 'guts' the first time.

What I discovered is the real key, is not the sanding (yes, you have to be gentle, slow, smooth etc) but your ability to polish out the sanding marks. You have to have the right tools. At the minimum. a FLEX is my suggestion. The PC MAY do the job, and a rotary WILL do the job but the flex is the best in-between choice. Also, you will need something pretty aggressive as far as polish goes. Adams Severe Swirl Remover has removed 2500 grit sanding marks pretty nicely. You do have to follow it up with the other two steps.

I would STRONGLY suggest you try it on an area that is not all that visible and but accessible to the polishing pads. Maybe a door jam etc. Once you feel comfortable removing the sanding marks, then have at it on the hood and those scratches!!

Post pic of your results!!!

I don't have a flex. I own a pc. I'm contemplating on doing this, just a bit nervous. I would rather have scratches, then messing up my car.

I've watched probably 20 videos and it doesn't seem to hard. But still a bit nervous