Customer Service 866.965.0400

Single stage crash coarse!

Kody

Question

Hey guys,

My pimp of an uncle is letting me borrow his 57 Chevy to take a lovely young lady I fancy out to breakfast tomorrow, and to re-pay him, as well as have a nice example to use to show my detailing skills, I'm going to fully correct the paint on the car.

The problem is, it's single stage and I've not really dealt with single stage before, so I need a quick crash coarse!

Mainly how aggressive can I get with it? There are quite a few deeper scratches in it but I'm not sure how far I can go with it.

So if anybody has some pointers I greatly appreciate them!

Thank

Kody

6 answers to this question

It is hard to know how far you can go without seeing the car and metering the paint. Otherwise, same process, white and fine machine polish to start with then work your way up from there. Just stay away from the edges. You can burn them very very quickly.

How old is the paint job?

I'm also interested in this.

I recently bought a 1997 Toyota 4Runner (white) for my teen daughter to drive. The paint is dull but the scratches seems pretty light, almost none of which appear to be through the paint.

I came across some info that indicated that the 3rd generation 4Runners with non-metallic colors are single stage paint.

This will be a new one for me, as I haven't worked on single stage paint. I have some experience with polishing our boat, fiberglass gelcoat, and I've found that I have to completely wash my pads frequently to get the color and gelcoat debris out of them. I expect that with single stage paint I'll also have some paint color coming off into the pads.

Treat it at you would normal clear. Figure out your process on a 2'x2' portion of the hood or deck lid. Bring two sets of pads you don't plan on using ever again. It's pretty sweet bringing back something from the dead like that!

Mook

SAM_0634.jpg

SAM_0640.jpg

SAM_0647.jpg

SAM_0644.jpg