Customer Service 866.965.0400

Wash ‘n’ Wax: An unscientific experiment

omegaman1978

Question

Wash ‘n’ Wax? An unscientific experiment with somewhat interesting results. :xfingers:

First of all, I’m not at all saying YOU should do this. I did this to satisfy my own curiosity using my own car as a test. I’m not really using the products in the recommended manner. Your results, should you try this, may vary.

Back in the dark days before Adam’s (Like 6 months ago for me), my go to car soap was an OTC Wash n Wax product. I’ve obviously switched to Adam’s, but sometimes I miss it. I liked it for a lot of the same reasons I like Adam’s…easy to use, seemingly good results, and it smelled good. The OTC product seemed to work as advertised…my car always seemed a bit shinier and had a pseudo ‘just waxed’ look for a few days after.

Just so I’m clear where I stand here, the Adam’s shampoo plus drying with the DS is clearly a far better combo.

So anyway, here’s what I did for a little experiment. The goal was to maybe capture the best of both worlds. The car had been Buttered 4 weeks ago and subsequently washed once a week since. The wax was probably nearing the end of usefulness. So, I got setup for the ol’ 2 bucket wash as usual. Before I filled my buckets, I grabbed the hallowed Buttery Wax :bow: and put about a nickel size squirt on my wash mit. I keep hearing how safe it is to apply in pretty much any condition…why not infuse it into the wash? Then I put the usual amount of Adam’s shampoo right on top. Filled the bucket with the nozzle agitating it all as usual. I then proceeded to wash the car in the usual manner using my cobbled together Wash n Wax. Then dried with Great White and DS.

The Results: (“What, no pics?” No. Sorry.:()

The not so good: :confused:

The first thing I noticed pretty quick was about 25% to 50% less suds. I figure that must have to do with surface tension science stuff. “Mr. White?”

Also, I felt the mix was a little less ‘cleany’ then it has been every other time I’ve used it sans BW. This was more subjective though.

The sorta good, but certainly interesting results: :)

When I rinsed the soap off the vehicle, I noticed much more water beading then had originally beaded when I did the pre-rinse. I also noticed the water was beading on surfaces that had not been waxed previously (roof rack rails, plastic mirror trim, chrome grill, and other plastic trim)…so that was kinda cool.

When I sheet rinsed the water came off better than it had the previous wash and left the vehicle closer to dry than usual.

Most importantly, the shine…well, it was slightly glossier then before. At best I would say the previous butter job was ‘refreshed’, but I certainly wouldn’t dare call it waxed.

So there you have it. I don’t think I’m the first one to try this, I just couldn’t find anybody who had. Hope this helps somebody who may be thinking along the same lines.

PS How about an actual Adams Wash ‘n’ Wax product someday? :2thumbs:

10 answers to this question

Not really fair to compare pre wash beading to post wash beading... any particles on the surface that are removed thru the wash process will hamper or impact the beading. A dirty car will almost never bead as well as clean, so its hard to say if the wash n' wax or the just the act of washing itself was the difference.

Same can be said for the gloss levels.

Never say never, but its definitely not a product segment we're actively looking at.

Its a 'jack of all trades, master of none' thing. Its very difficult to have a soap do all the things ours does so well, and deposit a wax thats worth a hoot on the finish, and not streak up glass or trim.

So while the idea of a wash n' wax is great... there has to be some compromises made in order to get it to perform well enough.

Its much the same reason we haven't done any AIO polish and sealant products... the time savings in cutting 2 steps down to 1 is somewhat offset by the fact that the it neither polishes very well, nor seals very well.

So while the idea of a wash n' wax is great... there has to be some compromises made in order to get it to perform well enough.

That's kinda what I figured. And that's what I felt like I saw here...reduced suds and cleaning ability. It's not something I plan on doing in the future. I just wanted to report to those who might be interested.