Customer Service 866.965.0400

Small Business Owners

04bluesilverado

After being inspired by Len for going full time with his auto detailing business, I was curious how many other small business owners we have in our Adams family. I am always amazed when I hear peoples stories about how they started their own businesses and how they were able to grow them into what they've become today. I can only imagine how rewarding yet scary it can be. One day I hope to have a small business of my own. Starting out part time while keeping my full time job and maybe one day be able to do it full time. So please share your stories with us!

I started mine with detailing friends cars 3 years ago. I was only doing it on the weekends and I got to the point where I had to turn people away. So I decide to go full time about 8 months ago and have been booked sold since may. The way I got most of my business was word of month. I do all my work out of my garage which I enjoy a lot being home everyday and making my own ours.

You never know what your business may grow into. Kudos to those willing to take the risk.

Just a couple of interesting facts. Fred Smith owner of FedEx wrote his college thesis on the hub and spoke system and got a failing grade from his college professor. He said it would never work. UPS was started by a guy name Jim Casey at the age of 19, who borrowed $100 bucks from a friend back in 1907.

I'm still partially one. I have a small software company that's now my side work. I had been with it full time for about 4 years. Then got a really good offer to buy a lot of the company's assets so I cashed out. After that I tried partnering with a business guy on a new start-up that ended up failing after about a year. I'm only partially one now because after that start-up busted I went to work for a buddy of mine as employee 2 (3 if you count his wife ;) since he had a big contract come in. That was 14 months ago and we're still going strong. 3 other employees have been added since then and we're looking at maybe adding a couple more on.

Add my brother and I to the list. 20 yrs ago we started recycling to make a few extra bucks...long story short, we now have 20 employees. First 15 yrs were tough to say the least. At times not taking a paycheck to make sure our guys got theirs. Honesty integrity, under promise and over deliver are our keys to success. 5 years ago we started flipping houses to work on our retirement plan that is going well. 1 year we opened our first coin laundry...we are fortunate, also doing well. Never give up on your dreams, many mistakes have been made and each one was a learning opportunity which made us stronger.

So now we operate 3 businesses and are set to have the means to fully retire with passive income from our rental properties in 4 yrs. I will be 50. Yay! Somehow I just don't see us sitting around eating Bon Bons all day watching Oprah! But that will be our choice and nobody elses.

I am a huge advocate of owning your own business, easy....hell no! Worth it?.....absulutely without a doubt....

Sent from the Dark Side

• 2 weeks later...