Customer Service 866.965.0400

Garage Heater Advise

teamcrossworks

Question

I can't believe it's already approaching mid October...damn.

Here's my issue: The nights are starting to get pretty cold here in NJ and I don't want my Adam's collection to be compromised in any way by the cold. My garage is attached but will still dip close to freezing on a cold winter night. I was thinking of a buying a small heater to keep the temperatures around 50 degrees.

Any suggestions?

(Otherwise I'll have to move product inside where it's less admired.) LOL

12 answers to this question

I don't now of many heaters I would trust running while I wasn't in the garage with them, especially overnight! I have all of my stuff in my basement on shelves. My garage isn't attached to the house so it's kind of a pain, but I know all is good and nothing is going to go bad!!

I'm running a Modine Hot Dawg in my shop and it works very well. Love it. Very consistent and very quiet. Thermostat is always on 50 throughout the winter, and I bump it up in the evenings and weekends when I'm spending time in there. My shop is 32x44 with 12' cielings. I have a 100 gallon propane tank feeding it, and I go through 200-300 gallons a year depending on the severity of the winter.

Thank you all for your input.

In the summer, as long as I don't keep the door open too long, my garage stays comfortable even on hot days.

The suggested heat options are a bit out of my price range so it looks like I'll be storing them inside if I can't think of a safe/inexpensive heat source.

Thank you all for your input.

In the summer, as long as I don't keep the door open too long, my garage stays comfortable even on hot days.

The suggested heat options are a bit out of my price range so it looks like I'll be storing them inside if I can't think of a safe/inexpensive heat source.

I would LOVE to have a heated garage, but I spend little time in it, so IMO it's not worth the cost to do it just to keep my cars warm or my chemicals safe.

If I did, I'd use radiant heaters so the objects in the garage are warmed and NOT the air. Every time you open the garage, BAM all your hot air goes out. This is why most warehouses use radiant heaters.

PA nights get cold as well. I take everything down to the basement in extreme temps, hot or cold. It may be a pain, but it does preserve the products. I can't imagine how expensive it would be to heat a garage especially if its not all that well insulated, like mine.

I can't believe it's already approaching mid October...damn.

Here's my issue: The nights are starting to get pretty cold here in NJ and I don't want my Adam's collection to be compromised in any way by the cold. My garage is attached but will still dip close to freezing on a cold winter night. I was thinking of a buying a small heater to keep the temperatures around 50 degrees.

Any suggestions?

(Otherwise I'll have to move product inside where it's less admired.) LOL

Kurt, I found it difficult to get a heater without having to go through a licensed HVAC guy. I do know however a lot of people go through this place to purchase heaters. I see them from time to time. See link below. Mine I actually found through a guy at work. He had purchased some property and this heater was used to heat some space that he turned into living area. It was hardly used when I took it off his hands.

garage heater from Northern Tool + Equipment

I can't imagine how expensive it would be to heat a garage especially if its not all that well insulated, like mine.

I don't really find it that expensive. My gas bill in the coldest part of winter only runs about 130 bucks. That is house and garage. I keep the garage at 65. My wife thought I was nuts when I had a gas line stubbed for a future heater. Now she appreciates it. I have the heater in a back corner and when the door is open the force of the fan keeps the cold out fairly well and then heats the garage right back up, fairly quick after I close the door.

1012122241-1.jpg

Took a picture for my "Detailer's Corner" thread, boxed my stuff and moved it inside (basement).

I'll try and work out my heating issue but until then I don't want to risk my supplies.

I work in my garage often and have a propane radiant heater that after 15 minutes will have me working in my T-shirt on the coldest of days...I'll hate not having my Adam's within reach.