Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Polisher

J.greenroyd

Question

My dad got me a Dewalt DWP849X polisher yesterday and i was wondering how does this compare to the PC or Flex. Has anybody used this before? The speeds on the dial go from 600 rpm to 3500 rpm, i know the flex speeds go from 1 to 6 so what speed do i need to put it on to best match the 1 to 6 for each polsih? How much correction can i actually get done with this?

11 answers to this question

The Dewalt tool you've got is a direct drive high speed rotary, not a dual action random orbital like the PC and Flex machines Adam's sells.

I don't know if there is a comparison between rpm's (revolutions per minute) and opm (oscillations per minute).

Justin,

That is a rotary polisher, whereas the two machines we sell, the Porter Cable 7424XP and the Flex 3401VRG, are dual action machines.

The difference? BE CAREFUL with the DeWalt. Being a rotary, you can strike through paint quite easily. That machine operates off Revolutions per Minute. The two machines we sell operate from Oscillations per Minute. Like a Sonic Care toothbrush.

As far as correction goes, you can get a LOT done with it. If you are a novice in the machine polishing world, I would think about returning the DeWalt and picking something up a little easier to learn on, and also safer.

Mook

I totally agree with Mook, I believe if you are not experienced with the DeWalt and rotary buffers, you are asking for trouble. Heck, I've seen experienced body guys burn through paint with a rotary. I'm thinking you should thank your dad and return it and start with one of the orbitals. IMHO

Because of the speed and the single action of the buffer it is very easy to remove the clearcoat and expose the base coat underneath. If that happens it means repainting the entire panel plus blending to make the paint match. I have seen it happen and it's not pretty! Really in this day and age there is no reason to risk it when there are such fine dual action polishers available that make it very difficult to harm the finish.

Since most of us don't get near a rotary, it might be a while before you get an answer. Adams folks will probably only comment on things that they sell and support.

Rotaries are dangerous in inexperienced hands, and also often leave holograms in the paint even in the most experienced hands. The flex will be much better, the PC the best for beginning. I have a flex and still use the PC for certain parts of my ride.

Now in the future after i get the whole polishing process down, what speeds would i use on this for the polishes?

Very broad question b/c with rotary the speeds you work with will depend entirely on the type of work you're doing, the pad you're working with, etc.

There really is no 'one size fits all' answer.

As a general rule of thumb I like to work in the low-mid speeds... only venturing into 'full throttle' occasionally for really intense work.