Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help! At the mercy of my local car washers

56carnut

Question

Hey All,

I have a two month old Hyundai Veloster in Red. I live in an apartment building so I am at the mercy of the local car wash establishments. I go to one where they use the hand blowers to dry the car off. Unfortunately, I am seeing scratches on the hood. As there are no electrical outlets in my apartment's parking garage, I have to do everything by hand. I want to keep the car looking good. What products if any can I use to help protect the paint and minimize the scratches?

Thanks for the help.

11 answers to this question

You can always bring your two bucket wash gear to a local coin op and finish with a spot free rinse then follow with a detail spray mist and gently dry with great white towels. This is what I do in the Winter as they don't typically have outlets for an air dryer like a leaf blower or master blaster.

I do have access to a self-wash with the high pressure wand. So do you just fill your buckets with water adding car wash to one and then proceed or do you work on the tires/wheels first? Great suggestion, thank you. At least I know the wash mitts and towels will be clean.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Sv4KthAFTs]Adam's Premium Car Care Winter Washing Tips - YouTube[/ame]

Last year I started going to the local coin op and doing a semi quick two bucket wash in the wash bay even tho it is posted that bucket washing isn't allowed (I'm a rebel, I know). Be courteous to others by going during "off times" and I don't see a problem with it.

Last year I started going to the local coin op and doing a semi quick two bucket wash in the wash bay even tho it is posted that bucket washing isn't allowed (I'm a rebel, I know). Be courteous to others by going during "off times" and I don't see a problem with it.

Exactly. I wouldn't do it Friday after work or at any time Sunday or Saturday and expect the owner to be happy about it. Yes, you are a paying customer but taking up a spot at his business.

I did this same thing when living in an apartment and it worked well. I would use Adams shampoo too. Only tough thing can be the pooling method of drying with the coin op.

Only tough thing can be the pooling method of drying with the coin op.

Most coin ops have a spot free rinse option, which filters the water.

Use that and fill a watering can like this:

1.5-Liter-Watering-Can-Khaki_product_main_large.jpg

That can be used to 'pour' water over the panels to do your sheet rinse. Will you look like an absolute nut job watering his car? Yes, but at least you can sheet rinse.

Most coin ops have a spot free rinse option, which filters the water.

Use that and fill a watering can like this:

1.5-Liter-Watering-Can-Khaki_product_main_large.jpg

That can be used to 'pour' water over the panels to do your sheet rinse. Will you look like an absolute nut job watering his car? Yes, but at least you can sheet rinse.

Actually Dylan I did have one of these and used it after I saw a post a while back about it. I don't have the need for using coin ops at the moment so it slipped my mind!

As much as coin washes cost around here,that wash job would have costed Adam about 10 grand.:D