Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need some advice

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

I have some spots that have appeared on my passenger door. I noticed them when I did FMP about 2 weeks ago. They weren't there when I polished in March. It looks like REALLY BAD water spots. You can feel them.

A couple of the spots even have trash in them. Could this just be bad spots in the paint that are showing up with the age of the truck?

These pics are after wet sanding with 2500 and polishing out with the Flex. I've wet sanded until there is no orange peel left. I'm afraid to go any farther.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

14 answers to this question

Yes, if it is solvent pop, it occurred while the paint was curing. Typically caused by either laying the base/clear too think and it not outgassing properly. Has the panel ever been repainted?

I know it hasn't been painted since I've had it. I bought it used last June. It's a 2009 Ram.

Do you see any evidence of a respray? Maybe check around the perimeter of the door edges, the underside of the door, the jambs, etc. Did you notice anything different about the paint on that door as opposed to the rest of the truck? It could also be defects in the primer that were painted over. Sadly, the orange peel probably hid it but not that it's as flat as glass, it's much more noticeable.

I've never seen any evidence of a respray. I know the truck had a clean carfax when I bought it. That still doesn't mean that it didn't have any paint work done.

By what you're saying, I'm guessing the only way to fix this is to repaint.

Sadly, that is what my experience is telling me. If you've already wet sanded it enough to remove the peel, there won't be enough material left to level it out. You might want to stop in at your trusted/local body shop and see what they say. I guess you could get away with possibly just scuffing, re-clearing, cutting, and rebuffing the panel. but if it really is solvent pop, I'm not sure I would want to simply paint over it. Sorry man. I know that's a tough one to have to deal with on such a beautiful truck.

Sadly, that is what my experience is telling me. If you've already wet sanded it enough to remove the peel, there won't be enough material left to level it out. You might want to stop in at your trusted/local body shop and see what they say. I guess you could get away with possibly just scuffing, re-clearing, cutting, and rebuffing the panel. but if it really is solvent pop, I'm not sure I would want to simply paint over it. Sorry man. I know that's a tough one to have to deal with on such a beautiful truck.

Thanks for all the help. As for the repaint, I'm wanting to get a sport hood and have some other scratches repainted so I guess I can add this door to the list. At the rate I'm going I'm gonna have to repaint the whole truck.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaang buddy. HATE to see this. I believe a repaint is in order as well, Len. It's a bad, but good thing. Let me know if you want Goolsby's number.

Chase, It'll be a while. I'll have to live with it for now. Especially with the other things I found yesterday. I think mechanical trumps cosmetics.

Thanks bud.