Customer Service 866.965.0400

Buffing

butchman

Question

I recently did my first paint correction on my dads black T-bird. I started with the orange pad with swirl/haze remover. I had a heck of a time buffing it off. Due to weather and putting on too much product. I'm pretty sure in the videos they say you can polish right over the residue. How well does this work? Can you do the same with the wax. Meaning can you do swirl/haze, polish, wax, buff? I'm not sure why I didn't just polish over and it was alot of extra work to remove that.

8 answers to this question

I recently did my first paint correction on my dads black T-bird. I started with the orange pad with swirl/haze remover. I had a heck of a time buffing it off. Due to weather and putting on too much product. I'm pretty sure in the videos they say you can polish right over the residue. How well does this work? Can you do the same with the wax. Meaning can you do swirl/haze, polish, wax, buff? I'm not sure why I didn't just polish over and it was alot of extra work to remove that.

Morning,

You can step over all the polish steps. SSR-SHR-FMP-BG without having to remove polish residue. You should ALWAYS have a clean surface when laying Sealant or Wax, therefore there shouldn't be any residue on the surface.

:thumbsup:

A helpful hint at removing the residue is one I learned from Adam a long time ago. I use it all the time on the Swirl and Haze Remover as well as polish. Once you are ready to remove the residue get a clean micro fiber towel (I have a lot of the older blue plush towels), lay it out fully opened on the surface of the vehicle. Now take the PC buffer with a clean dry pad (don't use the one you used to apply the products) and place it on the towel. Wrap the excess towel material around the buffer where you will be able to hold it. Turn on the buffer and let it do the hard work. You will need to change to a clean part of the towel every so often and it may take a few towels depending on the size of the vehicle.

I will normally go back over the car by hand to and get the areas that I could not get at with the buffer. I also use a soft toothbrush to get any excess residue out if cracks and seams.

So makes it a lot easier to remove the polish then doing it by hand.

A helpful hint at removing the residue is one I learned from Adam a long time ago. I use it all the time on the Swirl and Haze Remover as well as polish. Once you are ready to remove the residue get a clean micro fiber towel (I have a lot of the older blue plush towels), lay it out fully opened on the surface of the vehicle. Now take the PC buffer with a clean dry pad (don't use the one you used to apply the products) and place it on the towel. Wrap the excess towel material around the buffer where you will be able to hold it. Turn on the buffer and let it do the hard work. You will need to change to a clean part of the towel every so often and it may take a few towels depending on the size of the vehicle.

I will normally go back over the car by hand to and get the areas that I could not get at with the buffer. I also use a soft toothbrush to get any excess residue out if cracks and seams.

So makes it a lot easier to remove the polish then doing it by hand.

By layering BG over the "3 Step" Polish residue, it literally takes the weight of the towel to remove all of it. Easier even than using a machine.

By layering BG over the "3 Step" Polish residue, it literally takes the weight of the towel to remove all of it. Easier even than using a machine.

Thanks Mook, but I am old school, and I seemed to always remove each application, SHR (if used) then the polish. As far as the glaze goes it is easy to remove by hand and I never use the buffer to remove the Americana. I guess I like to see the results of each step as I go. That way if there is a place that needs a little more attention I can do it then. I have always felt that the idea of doing a small area to see what needs to be done prior to the entire vehicle can still leave area that may not be done completely. I like to look the car over prior to starting and hopeful work the area that appears to need the most work. But even by getting it just right, I find that there is always the chance that something is missed.

So I like to use the SHR completely remove it and if need just do a touch up. Next is polish and again the same procedure. I know I am doing more work then doing the 3 step process, but that is how I have done it for a long time now and I am just use to it.

Thanks Mook, but I am old school, and I seemed to always remove each application, SHR (if used) then the polish. As far as the glaze goes it is easy to remove by hand and I never use the buffer to remove the Americana. I guess I like to see the results of each step as I go. That way if there is a place that needs a little more attention I can do it then. I have always felt that the idea of doing a small area to see what needs to be done prior to the entire vehicle can still leave area that may not be done completely. I like to look the car over prior to starting and hopeful work the area that appears to need the most work. But even by getting it just right, I find that there is always the chance that something is missed.

So I like to use the SHR completely remove it and if need just do a touch up. Next is polish and again the same procedure. I know I am doing more work then doing the 3 step process, but that is how I have done it for a long time now and I am just use to it.

Next time, try it on a panel! You know your technique is awesome, so layer all the steps over, don't wipe it off, then lay BG over all that. THEN wipe it off! Just to test it and see how you like it! :cheers::cheers:

Always remember about Process and Technique...All the old detailing guys, me included, use this philosophy on every application and not every car is the same.

90% of a job is prep, everything else comes after that.

Start with a hand wash, no automatic car washes please!!..With the car still wet, clay it, then when you have walked around the car for 20 minutes, making sure everything is in near perfect order, you are ready to buff. Black cars show everything, and I mean everything..I have one, and have done others with numerous swirl marks and buffer haze. Dry off the car with a blower, shop vac, or similar item.

For compounding use a compound pad (foam or wool pad) I use both.

For polishing use a polishing pad. Be patient, detailing a car takes a thoughtful process and turns into an art.

:cheers: