Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pro Question - What Do You Do About Drugs In Cars?

dipolley

This question came up because my brother had his car detailed (He and I live on opposite sides of the country so I did not do the detail). The detailer found a large amount of pot in the fender well. Seeing as how my brother bought this car 4 years ago, the weed had gone bad a long long time ago. But nobody really had any idea of what to do. He called me and asked what I would do but I come up with nothing. He considered calling the dealership he bought the car from but what good would that do? Calling the police was also an option. I have no idea what he ultimatly did.

Well this brought up what we should be doing around our shop and what our policies should be. We have decided to table anything until after the election as we are voting on the legaization of recreational marijuana. (Less than 1 oz would be legal in Colorado if passed and a lot of money wold go to the schools so, yea.) I wanted to see what other shops do and what your policies may be. We have probably all run ito a few seeds and stems from interior details. I personally have no issue with pot. But the question is, what do you do if or when you run into any illegal drugs when doing a detail?

That's a tough one. I now wonder what happened if a shop owner discovered the drugs in the car, did nothing about and returned the car to the owner. Owner does something stupid and gets pulled over. Cop does a drug search and finds the stash. Owner then tells cop, It's not mine, didn't know it was there, but I just had the car serviced at this shop and they must have stashed it there. Would it/could it turn into a you said - he said match?

I have a disclaimer in my contract sheet that states

Anything left in your vehicle that constitutes an illegal substance / paraphernalia or a bio-hazard will result in the cancellation of service and forfeiture of down payment.

It has more to it dealing with personal items, firearms, etc left in the car. I have already come across used condoms (major yuck!), loaded guns (really? How do you forget that??), and a drug pipe(NASTY!). I do a walk through and photograph areas of the car for both the customers assurance/safety and mine. There are some very unscrupulous people in this world and I am just being safe.

I personally carry a gun, and have no issues with them, or condoms, or even if you want to party in your own privacy. I do however have an issues with them when it could affect my health, business, or even freedom!

This is what I do..

I have already come across used condoms (major yuck!), loaded guns (really? How do you forget that??), and a drug pipe(NASTY!).

No Thanks.... I will stick to detailing my personal vehicles. Like Mook has said "he isn't a janitor"....lol Reminds of that scene from the movie "Hangover"

No Thanks.... I will stick to detailing my personal vehicles. Like Mook has said "he isn't a janitor"....lol Reminds of that scene from the movie "Hangover"

One of my first jobs was working at the Avis Car Rental garage in the Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton (ABE) airport in Pennsylvania. My job was to take in the returned cars, wash and vacuum them, then put them back on the line to go out again. We found all kinds of gross stuff in those cars. I imagine it's 10 times worse nowadays as people seem to have even less regard for stuff. :willy:

The best part about the story is when they checked to see if it was still good before deciding what to do with it, lol.

Apparently after 4 years it was blatently obvious. You gonna smoke something that has been through 4 Detroit winters in your fender well?

Thanks for all the responses all. This is becoming an interesting thread.

When I was a senior in HS 25 years ago I know what I would've of done with that sack of weed. LOL!

This happen to me last summer ..the customer came back real fast when he realized what was left in his car.