Customer Service 866.965.0400

Caring for tinted windows

LarryR

Question

I plan on getting the windows tinted in my new vehicle once it arrives and was wondering what the Adams pros out there recommend for a) prepping the windows prior to tinting and B) caring for tinted windows with Adams products.

10 answers to this question

Are you getting them tinted professionally? You could do a clay bar pass before getting them done.

After that, nothing but glass cleaner and some elbow grease.

Yes, I'll be having it done professionally. So once the tint is installed do you ever do any claybar treatments or is it strictly the window cleaner?

NO brand X for my baby! It will ONLY see Adams products once it's in my hot little hands! Sorry to be such a Noob with all this detailing stuff.....REALLY appreciate all the help and guidance you folks provide!

A pro shop will do all the proper prep to the interior of the glass. Since claying would be done on the exterior (and tint is applied to the inside) theres no need for it.

Follow their instructions carefully... most films will need about a week to fully settle in. Don't roll the windows down prior to that. Also no cleaners on them for that time either.

You may notice some fine bubbles and air pockets here and there, those will work their way out. Try to park your car in full sun when possible for the first few days. The heat will help the film shrink and work those pockets out on their own.

After that first week then just maintain with glass cleaner and a glass towel. Never use anything with alcohol or ammonia in it and you should be good to go.

On a side note I recommend going with 3M colorstable tint film. Its all I have done to my cars now, it carries a lifetime warranty and has excellent heat/uv rejection.

Never use anything with alcohol or ammonia in it and you should be good to go.

I was told alcohol type could be use. Ammonia was definitely a no-no. Lifetime warranty, SunTek window film, per install shops instructions. Not saying you are 100% wrong, just throwing it out there for information.

I've heard (or read) somewhere that the best tinting has some sort of nano-ceramic technology that is the best for heat rejection and no electronic interference. Does either the Suntek or 3m products have this?

A pro shop will do all the proper prep to the interior of the glass. Since claying would be done on the exterior (and tint is applied to the inside) theres no need for it.

Follow their instructions carefully... most films will need about a week to fully settle in. Don't roll the windows down prior to that. Also no cleaners on them for that time either.

You may notice some fine bubbles and air pockets here and there, those will work their way out. Try to park your car in full sun when possible for the first few days. The heat will help the film shrink and work those pockets out on their own.

After that first week then just maintain with glass cleaner and a glass towel. Never use anything with alcohol or ammonia in it and you should be good to go.

On a side note I recommend going with 3M colorstable tint film. Its all I have done to my cars now, it carries a lifetime warranty and has excellent heat/uv rejection.

What Dylan said! I tint windows on the side, and I'm sure the shop has cleaning of the windows prior figured in to their final price. And they know what to do and how to do it because it's what they do, so I wouldn't touch the windows. It may make the window a "sticky" window, as the tinters world calls it, and that's just no fun for anyone if you've ever dealt with it.

Good luck on the tint! And using Adam's glass cleaner will be just fine on the tint afterwards.