Customer Service 866.965.0400

What do you need to do for a brand new car?

RJRSKY

Question

My Dad is picking up a 2009 Saturn Sky Redline in the morning. I know its going to be washed by the dealer:help:, What do I need to do when I get it?

Its going to be Onyx Black like mine, so I'm sure it will need at the very least to be Detail Sprayed.

Dad is going to be driving it back to Beaumont Tx tonight. He is not the detailing fanatic that I am and it will be killing me knowing he won't ever wash it.

Should I get a buttery wax on it?

I know I will Detail Spray it for sure.

I need to know what would the Adam's fanatics do with a brand new car?

Thanks

RJR

9 answers to this question

I am no expert, relatively new to detailing but I would think at a minimum I would want to get some protection on that finish with a coat of Buttery Wax. At some point later you may want to clay and do the full routine to it, but if your pressed for time the application of the Buttery Wax will give protection to the finish until you want to do a deeper dive and get more serious with it. Keep in mind I'm just a newb at this.

I would advise you to tell the dealer to keep their mitts off that car and not even wash it. That's what I just did with my wife's new 09 Forester. From my experience the biggest problem, or source of problems, is improper washing technique. Give the vehicle a proper wash, clay it, and then put some protection on it. Adam's Buttery Wax would fit the protection bill just fine. You will be amazed at how much "junk" is on the paint of a brand new vehicle.

If you have any questions as to proper wash or claying technique I suggest searching these forums as there have been some good posts on those topics, watching the videos that Adam's has out there, and asking plenty of questions.

Good luck.

Unfortunately I am pretty sure the car is already washed because they knew Dad was going to buy it today, I don't let them wash mine when I take it in for service and I've already talked to Dad about the same thing when he takes his in. I'll try to get a buttery on it and maybe get it clayed before if time allows.

Thanks for the response. I will take pics for this thread.

rjr

Having worked at a dealership, I know most detail departments simply pull off the protective shipping tape or cover, wash the car and vaccum it and apply a thin coat of wax and slap on some tire goop. One dealership I worked at had two of the best detailers I have seen and they took a lot of pride in their work. They really cleaned the car initially and made sure it was perfect and did the same at delivery. Two class act guys. They are the exception to the rule.

However, whenever I get a new car, I wash it thoroughly the next day. I wait about 90 days and clay bar the car, go over it with Swirl and Haze Remover, Revive Polish and Buttery Wax. My wife thinks I am nuts, but when I was done with her car, she was happy.

One thing to understand is you don't know and no one will tell you how long the car sat before being shipped, sat after being received at the dealer before prep and then how long it sat on the lot.

You just got a new car. You will have it for the near future. Why not take the time and make it look good from day one? When cars sit at the port or what not, they are sitting there and ignored. No one goes around and washes them every week or two. They come off a truck or boat, sit in the elements for who knows how long, then off to the dealer, again to sit for who knows how long.

One other thing to think about is your paint warranty. This also allows you to catch anything the day after delivery. It is easier to make the dealer pay for a little chip, scratch or ding just after picking it up versus even a week. If you have something in the paint and after a year or two, it has become so bad the manufacturer will deny any claims and fall back on the neglect side of it. Manufacturers like VW, Volvo, Audi and Porsche take a lot of pride in their paint work and have high customer service levels and they may be willing to help out. Why run the risk, though.

Simply put...inspect the car the day after with a good wash. Clay, polish and wax 90 days later. Save the potential headache.

My 2 cents.

DO NOT let the Dealer touch the car once you tell them you want to buy it. New cars - despite being new, are very abused. Lot porters use the same rough towels from car to car - hard water from the city, and zero wax is applied.

Clay bar your new vehicle, polish and wax it - give it the whole 9 yards.

DO NOT let the Dealer touch the car once you tell them you want to buy it. New cars - despite being new, are very abused. Lot porters use the same rough towels from car to car - hard water from the city, and zero wax is applied.

:iagree:

:iagree:When we bought our 08 Aura, I took it home and did the full meal deal on it. Went back 2 days latter for some paper work. All the sales people and customers were looking at my car. The salesman said Damn that makes our cars look Bad. I replied it just looks like it should. Rock on Adams:pc:

I know I shouldn't have let them wash it but I really didn't have that much control over it. It is Dad's car and he thought it looked good at the dealership, I thought it was horrible. The "detail"?? guy was just finishing it as we drove up in my car. I told Dad to look at mine which is 18 months older and has dings and chips (from when Dad owned it) and look at the new car and he was astonished by how good my car looks compared. The salesmen and managers were very impressed how good my car looked. I just don't get how they can't or don't want to keep those cars clean at least on the lot. Anyways I got it home and washed it again and dried it with detail spray and also put the buttery wax on it ( I didn't have as much time as Dad had to get on the road back to Beaumont) and the car looked fantastic!!! Thanks Adam's for your outstanding products nothing will ever touch my car but your products.

Thanks for the advice from evryone and I will get my hands on that new car and spend a whole day on it the next time I get a chance.

Pictures are on the way.

Thanks

rjr

Edited by RJRSKY