Customer Service 866.965.0400

How to remove wax from plastic trim - video

ihaveacamaro

Question

A little video I made on the subject using Adam's APC.

Hope you enjoy :)

P.S. Dylan recommended (and I agree it's a great idea) to tape up the trim before doing this. Given that the brush I used was designed originally for paint and that I can pretty easily polish away light scratches, I wasn't too scared for my paint, but it is always better to be safer and will be less work if anything goes wrong!

11 answers to this question

if too lazy to tape, use some super vht on the trim before waxing

I tape everything, exceptional prep work makes me more comfortable when I'm polishing. Some people do the SVRT trick because the polish won't adhere to the rubber...good on them, but this doesn't help badges, panel gaps, splatter, damaging window trim, etc. So much easier to do with proper taping ahead of time IMO.

Edited by 07RS4

HA! Something I can actually contribute on, woot!

Far and away, the best thing ive found to remove wax/polish bird stains, ect, from plastics or other non painted/polished surfaces, is MR Clean Magic Eraser.

You need 1/10th the effort required in the OPs suggestion, but the only caveat is to be careful around pained surfaces. I would even tape off painted surfaces that you may end up hitting while scrubbing the affected plastics, as Magic Erasers will leave fine scratches comparable to a light rubbing compound.

The other problem with magic erasers is they will in many cases 'shine' the area they're rubbed on. Afterall it is an abrasive pad. I actually helped a guy with a camaro solve the problem on his chin spoiler. He had used magic eraser on one spot where he had a stain of some kind... it worked to remove the stain, but created a spot that was shiny compared to everywhere else. It essentially leveled the texture on the part.

We ran thru a few ideas, and eventually the only solution became to scrub the rest of the spoiler with the same method to at least make it all even.

HA! Something I can actually contribute on, woot!

Far and away, the best thing ive found to remove wax/polish bird stains, ect, from plastics or other non painted/polished surfaces, is MR Clean Magic Eraser.

You need 1/10th the effort required in the OPs suggestion, but the only caveat is to be careful around pained surfaces. I would even tape off painted surfaces that you may end up hitting while scrubbing the affected plastics, as Magic Erasers will leave fine scratches comparable to a light rubbing compound.

I use that product for all my interior scuffs. It does wonders on them!

The other problem with magic erasers is they will in many cases 'shine' the area they're rubbed on. Afterall it is an abrasive pad. I actually helped a guy with a camaro solve the problem on his chin spoiler. He had used magic eraser on one spot where he had a stain of some kind... it worked to remove the stain, but created a spot that was shiny compared to everywhere else. It essentially leveled the texture on the part.

We ran thru a few ideas, and eventually the only solution became to scrub the rest of the spoiler with the same method to at least make it all even.

oh wow, well ive only used one on about 4 vehicles, so I guess ive not run into plastics soft enough to wear down like that. Id say, as with anything else, do a test spot to make sure your project doesnt experience this.

Good call though, I can definitely see how it could wear something soft enough