Customer Service 866.965.0400

Successful Scratch Removal

On Saturday evening one of my current customers sent me a pic (along with a bunch of words that I won't repeat here) of a scratch he found on his car. I told him if he had time to bring it over and I'd see what I could do. He only lives about 3 miles from me so he said he'd be right over.

Looking at the pic he sent me I knew it was time to do my first wetsanding on a customer car. :help:

I had no idea what to charge and would be interested to know what others might charge to do this. The entire process took about 35 minutes.

Here's what I did:

WW towel and WW to clean the area

Clayed the area using DS as lubricant

Wetsanded using 2500 (I don't own any 3000 grit)

Polished with SSR & 4" pads on the PC

FMP & 4" pads on the PC

One coat of QS

After seeing the results the owner was :banana::banana::banana:

Here are the pics

I just had to turn down detailing a 95 Viper becuase the owner took it upon himself to wet sanded and polish his car in a shop were somene was griding on metal.

The result ended in the car needs wet sanded again to remove all the scratches he reinstalled on the car with his metal covered wool pad and they cover the entire car.

He also burned through his clear coat in a few spots from wet sanding. Ruined a brand new paint job.

Nice Job !! - Those scratches looked like someone's kid wanted to do a little art work on daddy's car !!?!? ?

I told the owner it appeared he didn't do a thorough rinse before he washed and some grit came out from around the light or from the body seam just in time for the mitt to pick it up and does it's dirty little deed. He now knows the importance of a thorough rinse.

looks good, great work for first customer wet-sanding! no need to be afraid now, it can be your friend but only used when every option is exhausted, and obviously you nailed it :D nice!

I didn't even try to polish before wetsanding. You could catch the scratches with your fingernail. I explained that I couldn't get them all the way out but I could make them less visible. Even I didn't know that the results would be that good. The scratch is still there but you have to hold the light just right and turn your head a certain way to see it. :lolsmack:

I just had to turn down detailing a 95 Viper becuase the owner took it upon himself to wet sanded and polish his car in a shop were somene was griding on metal.

The result ended in the car needs wet sanded again to remove all the scratches he reinstalled on the car with his metal covered wool pad and they cover the entire car.

He also burned through his clear coat in a few spots from wet sanding. Ruined a brand new paint job.

WOW! I can only imagine what that must have looked like.

Thanks to everyone for the comments.

I'm still interested to what others think is a fair price for something like this.

Nice job!

I've wetsanded and polished a lot of vehicles.

A great way to get started with wetsanding is to try it on an old body panel at a junkyard. Also restoring old oxidized headlights can help one learn how to wetsand.