Customer Service 866.965.0400

2001 Audi A6 Avant Headlight correction

ECaulk

So my friend picked up a 2001 Audi A6 Avant, needless to say 12years of road debris attacking the headlight it was pretty bad

IMG-20120929-00016.jpg

So I started off with 4' focus pads on a drill, started with the green pad (left side) since they needed serious correction

IMG-20130127-00055.jpg

The green pad just wasnt clearing it up enough for my liking. So I went and picked up some 2000grit and 3000grit (warning I nor Adams products are responsable for any damage if you go to town with sandpaper)

After sanding them down till it was smooth to my hand (i forgot to take photos :lolsmack: getting into correcting the lights)

Then I corrected with the green pad, orange pad, and white pad. Removed the polish residue and finished with a coat of machine super sealant

Final product

IMG-20130127-00056.jpg

very nice work! just heads up to you guys if your gunna sand away at the headlights you should throw a more permanent coating over the top so the oxidation and pitting is prevented cause it will happen sooner than it did before. Wax/quick sealant is nice for a quick fix but once you start sanding away plastic and near the UV protective coating you need a serious protection. Since this is not really an Adams focus of sales I would recommend these things:

-Spar Urethane w/mineral spirits

or

-Optimum Opti-Coat over after you have sanded/polish/IPA wipedown

Audi headlights are notorious for the oxidation, ive done many pairs for people.

very nice work! just heads up to you guys if your gunna sand away at the headlights you should throw a more permanent coating over the top so the oxidation and pitting is prevented cause it will happen sooner than it did before. Wax/quick sealant is nice for a quick fix but once you start sanding away plastic and near the UV protective coating you need a serious protection. Since this is not really an Adams focus of sales I would recommend these things:

-Spar Urethane w/mineral spirits

or

-Optimum Opti-Coat over after you have sanded/polish/IPA wipedown

Audi headlights are notorious for the oxidation, ive done many pairs for people.

I did forget to mention the MSS was only a temp solution, I had looked into Opti-Coat but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Have you had good success with it surviving the Michigan salting season?

I did forget to mention the MSS was only a temp solution, I had looked into Opti-Coat but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. Have you had good success with it surviving the Michigan salting season?

gotcha, its a great choice for a more permanent solution. Its done great through michigan winter and has held up on my wheels with alot of highway driving behind salt trucks. Its a great way to finish off the process until Adams creates a better product of course ;).

I used Meguiars headlight protectant this past summer and it's still shiny until this day and we've had a couple snow storms this winter.

Yeah the headlight protectant is great for what it is. The only problem is many people have to apply twice a month for proper protection, durability seems to be an issue for most. I do recommend though using opti-coat and even topping with headlight protectant, people do that frequently with good results.

For the NooB's here... We don't allow posting links to, or recommendations of other detailing companies products.

Adam spends a lot of money to keep this site going and understandably wants to keep links and posts about the competition out, just like they wouldn't want to see things about Adams on their sites.

Thanks for understanding!

Chris & the Admin team

For the NooB's here... We don't allow posting links to, or recommendations of other detailing companies products.

Adam spends a lot of money to keep this site going and understandably wants to keep links and posts about the competition out, just like they wouldn't want to see things about Adams on their sites.

Chris & the Admin team

I'm sorry never meant for this thread to get side tracked just wanted to show the improvement using the 4" focus pads

Chris & the Admin team

my bad, just didnt want him to ruin all his work he did. Thought since it was a product segment Adams had no stake in that it would be ok. lesson learned.