Customer Service 866.965.0400

Is this clear failure?

90zxdriver

Question

I am looking at buying a OBS Tahoe as DD to keep the miles off of my SS Silverado and to keep the dog out of the truck. The Tahoe is a 99 with 167k miles on it. Florida truck it's whole life. When I was looking at it yesterday I noticed these little cracks/scratches on the top of the fenders, edge on the hood (next to the fenders) and going up the A-pillars. I can't figure out is it is scratches or the clear coat actually micro cracking. Other than these marks, the truck is in surprisingly good shape for 167k. What do you think?uj1D3qK.jpgAnfUaqB.jpg

zzDhqb9.jpg

XBLvV9Y.jpg

5 answers to this question

hard to tell from the pictures, but that looks like trashed paint, with a bunch of scratches.

I did see a few places that certainly had clear coat failure like in your third picture top middle where you can see the layer of clear coat and the layer of paint underneath.

OP the vehicle color is white?

I had a 1990 Chevy Celebrity wagon that was white, and my oldest daughter is currently driving a 1993 Buick Century coupe that is white. Both of these white GM vehicles had those marks. It's almost like the paint is scratched and dirt got ground into the scratches and won't come out. The Chevy was taken care of very well and had these marks while the Buick is neglected and has them too.

I got rid of the Chevy with 236,000 miles on it and the Buick has slightly over 100,000 miles.

I wouldn't not buy the vehicle because of the marks.

Yes, it is a white 99 Chevy Tahoe. I had an old black VW Jetta that had clear failure and the paint was very rough. The paint on the Tahoe is smooth over the blemishes. With the miles on the truck in not expecting it to be perfect nor am I looking for a perfect vehicle. I just want something cheap I can spend cash on. I was just curious about what this was because I have never seen clear fail like this (if that's us what actually happened) before.

Found a picture of my daughter's trunk lid:

IMG_1578resize.jpg

Sure looks like your picture. This paint has been like this since we got the car from my Mother-In-Law back in 2006. It's not gotten any worse, and I can't correct it.