Customer Service 866.965.0400

Handymen step inside... Sliding Door install help

j-cash

Hey guys, Im looking for some advice right now about installing a sliding door in our house. We currently have a french door in the location but its not in the best shape anymore. The wife wants a sliding door in its spot. Only bad thing is is that the door is an odd size.... 66.5" x 80" to be exact. So we went to lowes yesterday and they have a good sale on Pella doors right now... the door is a 72" wide i believe. if i wanted a door to fit my current opening it would need to be special order and cost near $1000 the guy said. The Pella door is selling for $375.

Should i just make the opening bigger? If i cut 5.5" inches to one side and find theres no header that extends that far what do you do? Im kinda wanting this a DIY project if i can as well. Any help would be appreciated :)

Do they have a door that is a little smaller than your 66.5 door?

It would be easier to go smaller than bigger, because of your header...

I was looking on the site and saw a 58" i think, we liked the look of the bigger door but if its going to be a hassle then i dont know.. wish we could see how long the header is before making a huge mess.

It's not too tough, but you do need to extend the header. You'll have to cut out enough drywall to re-install the header, then patch and repaint the hole. On the outside do you have siding? Vinyl or aluminum? With a zipper and a pair of snips, it's easy to pull only the siding you need--if it's vinyl anyway--then cut and re-install. Whatever is under the siding--most likely plywood--can just be cut away with a sawzall. Watch out for the insulation.

Regarding the header, you should pull the old one and replace it with a full length, one piece replacement. By one piece, I of course mean lengthwise. For headers we normally nail together 2 2x's with a 1/2" piece of plywood between them for spacing. On the modified side: make sure there's a jack under one end to hold the weight, then another stud that extends all the way to the top plate. You might be able to re-use the one you remove.

It's really a 2 person job, so find yourself a strong buddy who will work for beer.

Pop the siding off with a zipper that can be purchased at Blows or Home Chaepo.... Malco is the company who makes them OR Use a claw hammer and get up and underneath the siding and pop it up and out giving you enough room to work.

Cut the plywood away from the header and studs and install a proper sized header if necessary..... Basically you are making a new rough opening for the oversized door, put some silicone caulking on the bottom, place door in new opening, secure it and the hard part is done.

Perform this "operation" from the outside and snap the siding back into place trim out the interior and you are done.

This is a full days job for two people with basic tools like a hammer, saw all, circular saw, etc.

You can always call a contractor and pay them $1200+ to do this job while you detail your car.

It really isn't that hard of a job, just time consuming. Before you get started, I would recommend having some basic tools. Not sure what you have. A sawsall is a must IMO. Probably the tool you will use the most, especially while removing the old door, and header. A circular saw, and hammer. Nail guns are nice if you have access to one. But it can all be done with a regular hammer. A level. You may or may not need it depending on how level your framing was done initially. Some 16d 3" nails to build the header fasten 2x4's to framing and 6D 2" nails to reattach OSB (outer wall) to 2x4's that you move for door opening.

An easy way to figure out how far your header goes is to take and remove the drywall from inside above the door. I guarantee it is going to be too small. Your header is probably a 2x10 and as was mentioned nail a piece of 1/2 OSB in between the two. If your door is 72 inches I would say your header needs to be atleast 78 inches and not shorter. Possibly 81 inches. Each end should be resting on atleast 2 2x4's or possibly 3. You will just have to see how it was framed in when you tear it apart.

Here is what I would do. Tear it apart and remove the door to figure out what you need for material. Make a run to the lumber store picking up your material for your header and few 2x4's. Probably 92 5/8 on the 2x4 length. Measure and make your new header and have it ready. Tear the old header out and support the load with 2x4's in it's place. Move your outer 2x4's to whatever dimension you need for the door. Moving just one side is going to be easiest. Keep in mind though if you have electrical (an outdoor porch light switch for example) it may have to be moved as well. Or move the side that doesn't have it. Another thing to double check is is your exterior walls 2x4's or 2x6's? This will also change the thickness of the door. It is probably 2x4, just brought it up as something to be aware. I use a mini sledge hammer and hold a scrap piece of 2x4 to the header and pound the new header into place. I use the block piece of wood so that I don't beat the new header to pieces. It is going to be a tight fit. Not so tight that your spending forever placing it. But shouldn't just slide in. Your going to have to use some muscle.

In regards to your siding just take your time and chalk a nice straight line (with blue chalk, red will stain) and cut carefully. Having one of these to remove your "J" channel and end pieces of siding will be handy as well. Vaughan 5-1/2 in. Mini Bar Nail Puller-222CS at The Home Depot "J" channel is the edge piece that siding finishes into that wraps around door. You will also have to replace the piece that goes across the top of the door, being that the door is now wider than it was originally. It looks like you can pick J channel up at HD, or Lowes. Unless you have some odd color.

As was mentioned having a buddy help you will make it so much easier. Especially when it comes to lifting the header into place. I did something similar for my brother in his basement, minus the door. He wanted a larger opening from one room to the next. Not really a hard job, just time consuming. Take your time and don't rush. Good luck and I hope that helps.

Edited by LFairbanks

look around your area for a pgt or jeld-wen dealer. I believe they have a size closer to what you need. when I get to work in the morning I gave give you numbers on what they should run you. since you are looking at pella I assume you are wanting aluminum clad. is the 66.5 x 80 your existing door bix size?

look around your area for a pgt or jeld-wen dealer. I believe they have a size closer to what you need. when I get to work in the morning I gave give you numbers on what they should run you. since you are looking at pella I assume you are wanting aluminum clad. is the 66.5 x 80 your existing door bix size?

I pulled the side trim off the door and measured it... 66.5" x 80". the door at lowes..the Pella brand i believe.. is what we saw. it was all vinyl and no screen was included.

You would be able to pick up a Jeld-Wen vinyl SGD for around $850 (custom sized) I know you want a sliding door but what you might want to consider going back with a Inswing door with a screen (again im assuming you want a SGD for the screen)

How many layers of siding do you have on the outside of the house? Just the vinyl or is there shakes,or asbestos? That could slow you down as well. If you were closer, I would come over and give you a hand!

You would be able to pick up a Jeld-Wen vinyl SGD for around $850 (custom sized) I know you want a sliding door but what you might want to consider going back with a Inswing door with a screen (again im assuming you want a SGD for the screen)

Thanks for looking up the price! the wife really wants a slider put in so she can open it as far as she wants..lol currently got the french door and she never liked it. guess we'll see what happens :)

just a quick update.. my cousins husband is going to help me next week when the weather gets better since they are calling for rain most of this week. so this should be a fun project...cant wait to get it done though!

thanks guys for your input, seems he's going to to do same thing most of you mentioned.