Customer Service 866.965.0400

Machine Newb. Essential Tools & Materials?

kidwolf908

Question

Afternoon all. I just finished up a whole round of wash/clay/hand polish/seal/glaze/wax on my SRT Challenger and unfortunately, I am unhappy with the level of perfection in the paint from the hand process. SO I have decided to move up to machine polishing for the first time. I also have a daily driver and my fiance just ordered a new Challenger as well, so I'll have plenty of use for the polisher.

That being said, I am here seeking advice on what tools and materials to buy for my machine polishing. I WAS considering the FLEX because it is obviously a superior machine, however, my paint is brand new and nearly flawless with only minor swirls and scratches. Plus, the FLEX can't accept 4" pads... So I thought it might make more sense to save the couple hundred bucks and put it toward extra pads and maybe a 4" FOCUS pad set for the Porter Cable.

So here's my shopping list so far (please criticize):

- Porter Cable 7424XP (from Amazon... $115)

- Adams Basic Machine Polish Kit (With green, orange, white pads)

- Adams Super Sealant Combo (with MSS and gray pad)

- Adams Polishing, Sealing, Glazing, and Wax kit (with all 5 pads... for extra polish pads and the red pad for glaze)

- Adams FOCUS 4" Complete Pad kit for PC (with all 5 pads)

Do you guys think this is a good starter kit? I was also considering the cordless drill 4" pad kit for those tighter areas and narrow body panels, but then I saw that Adam recommends going back over rotary polishing with orbital polishing to remove swirls. And since my scratches aren't that bad, I figured I would just stick with the PC and 4" pads for those tighter areas. Still not sure how I'll get scratches out of my spoiler, but I'll tackle that later I suppose.

All that stuff together comes up to about $340. Just about what the FLEX costs by itself, which seems like a bargain for me.

So please... weigh in and let me know what you think. I'd love advice from you experienced detailers. Also, the following is my list of what I already have from hand detailing:

- Detail Spray

- Clay Bar

- Revive & Applicator

- Americana & Applicator

- Quick Sealant & Applicator

- SVRT & Block Applicators & Tire Applicator

- Brilliant Glaze & Applicator

- Undercarriage Spray

- APC

- Interior cleaner & conditioner w/ Applicators

- 2x Double Soft MF towels

- 1x Single Soft Edgeless MF towel

Thank you in advance!

-Chris

13 answers to this question

just curious why you are not purchasing the PC from Adams?

as for the Flex v PC discussion....I only work on 2 to 3 cars a year, try to polish 2 times a year for each car. B/c I don't use it much, the PC does what I need to do. If I did more cars or more often paint corrections, I would get the Flex.

Why the wax kit, if your missing the red pad (buy it separately). The super comb includes the grey pad.

The basic kit includes green, orange , white. I would include the PC in the basic kit.Even though Amazon may be a little cheaper, check the warranty. I think if you buy from Adams it's a lifetime warranty( you should confirm that with Ashley or Matt.)The 4" Focus for the PC would eliminate the need of the cordless drill pads.

Just an idea..

Since you're not buying the PC from Adam's anyways, get the Griot's Garage. Better machine for same money, PM me if you want more info on why I think it's a better machine.

Otherwise, looks like a good list to me! Except not sure if you forgot to include soap in the list of what you have?

just curious why you are not purchasing the PC from Adams?

as for the Flex v PC discussion....I only work on 2 to 3 cars a year, try to polish 2 times a year for each car. B/c I don't use it much, the PC does what I need to do. If I did more cars or more often paint corrections, I would get the Flex.

Well the PC is 115 on amazon versus 140 on Adams. I will check the warranty though as the following poster mentions.

Why the wax kit, if your missing the red pad (buy it separately). The super comb includes the grey pad.

The basic kit includes green, orange , white. I would include the PC in the basic kit.Even though Amazon may be a little cheaper, check the warranty. I think if you buy from Adams it's a lifetime warranty( you should confirm that with Ashley or Matt.)The 4" Focus for the PC would eliminate the need of the cordless drill pads.

Just an idea..

Well I have read that its good to have more than one pad for a whole job since your likely to gunk up one set of pads before your done. If that's not necessary, obviously I'll just buy the red pad separately and only have one set. I guess the job takes enough time to where once you clog up one set of pads, you're ready to wash them and wait for them to dry while you drink a beer and take a nap lol.

Well I have read that its good to have more than one pad for a whole job since your likely to gunk up one set of pads before your done. If that's not necessary, obviously I'll just buy the red pad separately and only have one set. I guess the job takes enough time to where once you clog up one set of pads, you're ready to wash them and wait for them to dry while you drink a beer and take a nap lol.

Get extra polishing pads, but unless you are doing several cars in a weekend extra glaze & sealant pads are just 'nice to haves'. 2 green, 2 orange, 2 white (they take a loonnnng time to dry). BTW, the red and the black are the same foam, just different colors for the different products.

And like the others said, the 110% guarantee and a lifetime warranty on a tool is hard to beat!

One more idea for you.

One other reason for buying form Adam's is "The backing plate is includes" The backing plate is apporx. $25.00

This is my thought exactly. You will need the backing pate to work with the pads anyway. So after your forum 10% discount with the backing plate and 110% guaranty you can't go wrong. Just get the most complete kit that you think you will use and afford because you will be ordering more stuff each week anyway, believe me, been there done that.

Bye the way I think the forum discount code is still "SHINE ON"

One more idea for you.

One other reason for buying form Adam's is "The backing plate is includes" The backing plate is apporx. $25.00

Excellent point. I forgot about the backing plate.

Get extra polishing pads, but unless you are doing several cars in a weekend extra glaze & sealant pads are just 'nice to haves'. 2 green, 2 orange, 2 white (they take a loonnnng time to dry). BTW, the red and the black are the same foam, just different colors for the different products.

And like the others said, the 110% guarantee and a lifetime warranty on a tool is hard to beat!

Ahh, I didn't realize the grey and red pads were the same material. Thank you for that information.

This is my thought exactly. You will need the backing pate to work with the pads anyway. So after your forum 10% discount with the backing plate and 110% guaranty you can't go wrong. Just get the most complete kit that you think you will use and afford because you will be ordering more stuff each week anyway, believe me, been there done that.

Bye the way I think the forum discount code is still "SHINE ON"

Thank you for the input. I agree that the warranty is a great deal and the included backing plate makes it worth ordering straight from Adams. I also have the 10% forum code, so I will definitely be using that and will likely make a big order to make the most of the discount.

The guys are steering you in the right direction here.

The backing plate is something that's often overlooked when price shopping. Once you factor that expense in, they deduct whatever discount you are using with us...you're money ahead. At that point, the lifetime warranty is just icing on the cake. ;)

Have you looked through our machine polishing kit section? The discounts you get when combining all the things you are looking at can be substantial if they are offered in a kit that's already built.

Choose a kit that most closely matches what you're hunting for, then add the PC to it and go from there. We can you incorporate additional items as you see fit.

The guys are steering you in the right direction here.

The backing plate is something that's often overlooked when price shopping. Once you factor that expense in, they deduct whatever discount you are using with us...you're money ahead. At that point, the lifetime warranty is just icing on the cake. ;)

Have you looked through our machine polishing kit section? The discounts you get when combining all the things you are looking at can be substantial if they are offered in a kit that's already built.

Choose a kit that most closely matches what you're hunting for, then add the PC to it and go from there. We can you incorporate additional items as you see fit.

Hi Nick. I completely agree... after further consideration, it looks like the Adams PC is actually the bargain.

I have looked through the machine polishing kit section. I would love to go for one of the kits that includes all of the pads and polishes that I'm looking for, but I don't really need another clay bar or more APC. So I just started piecing kits and individual products together. Are you saying that you can substitute different products into a certain kit though?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Nick. I completely agree... after further consideration, it looks like the Adams PC is actually the bargain.

I have looked through the machine polishing kit section. I would love to go for one of the kits that includes all of the pads and polishes that I'm looking for, but I don't really need another clay bar or more APC. So I just started piecing kits and individual products together. Are you saying that you can substitute different products into a certain kit though?

Thank you for your help!

I would call in and talk to someone, might be Ashley. You will be amazed at what they can do...doesn't hurt to ask