Customer Service 866.965.0400

Can't Get all the swirls out! Help!

thesandman

Question

Well I got my PC kit about two months ago. I have tried on my Sierra twice to get the swirls out with the SSR, S&HR, FMP, and SS with all of the correct pads and cant get all of the swirls out. It looks awesome during the day, but once the evening sun hits it and you look down one of the body panels closely, you can see it. Im using about 10lbs of pressure and my pads are wet enough with detail spray. Even going over the area 2-3 times with SSR and S&HR I can still see the marks. Can anyone give me any tips of what to change up on my technique?

7 answers to this question

Easiest way to give tips would be to get a video of yourself correcting the paint.

I will say that, after reading, "my pads are wet enough with detail spray", I have one concern. How much detail spray are we talking? All you really need is one quick spray of the pad every so often IMO. I'd imagine with a soaked pad that the abrasiveness of the compounds won't be gritty enough to cut. Maybe i'm totally off on that one. I know the detail spray helps make the compound kind of activate again, but too much I would imagine could hinder performance.

Or maybe i'm totally off and you're only using one quick splash of detail spray and not obliterating your pads with it.. lol.

Easiest way to give tips would be to get a video of yourself correcting the paint.

I will say that, after reading, "my pads are wet enough with detail spray", I have one concern. How much detail spray are we talking? All you really need is one quick spray of the pad every so often IMO. I'd imagine with a soaked pad that the abrasiveness of the compounds won't be gritty enough to cut. Maybe i'm totally off on that one. I know the detail spray helps make the compound kind of activate again, but too much I would imagine could hinder performance.

Or maybe i'm totally off and you're only using one quick splash of detail spray and not obliterating your pads with it.. lol.

I'm only using about 1-2 squirts of detail spray.... trust me im not liquidizing the pads with it lol

Try on one panel slow down the FMP to say 4 or even 3 and see how that works for you. I have seen this suggested a couple times for those struggling with final result. If that doesn't work we need some more info to help you here.

1. How often are you adding product to the pad

2. Are you wiping off the panel after each stage?

3. Look at your pads can you see the pores or do they just look gummed up with polish?

4. What speed are you working at?

At this point from what you have said SSHR does not sound necessary anymore you just need to get the final result.

One other thing I would suggest if you work outside or don't have proper lights much like myself. Get a LED flashlight. I went out and got myself a LED MagLight that I use to check the paint as I go and IMO it works great. Some people may say halogen is best but I prefer LED and it has not done wrong by me.

Edited by ExpressThis13

Don't move from the SSR to the SHR until all the swirls are gone. Then the SHR will be used to correct any haze left from the SSR. Same with moving from the SHR to the FMP. Take your time.

Sorry for the difficulty! Have you checked out this video: How To Use Porter Cable Video | Car Care | Detailing Cars

Make sure the pad is not spinning, and your speed is at setting 6 too. Indeed, you are working on a hard clear coat, and the GM clear coat was in fact the reason we introduced the Flex polisher, as the PC lacks the action needed to get a quick correction.

Still, we should be able to get you close! What color is your Sierra?

:)

Parker, I just realized you're in Philly? There's a detail clinic at Thompson Racing in Warrington, PA where Dylan will be at on May 4th you may want to try and get to.

I'll be at Spring Carlisle the 24th through the 28th and would be glad to help you out if you want to venture to the Adam's tent at the Fairgrounds.

If neither of those events/dates suit you, I'm in Denver, PA just about an hour from Philly right off the PA Turnpike at exit 286. Give me a call and you can bring the vehicle to my place for some help. (717) 475-5457

Hey guys thanks a ton for the info. I am using a halogen light and doing it in my garage. In the garage I can get it pretty good looking but once it hits the setting sun, and you look down a panel, you can see them. Adam, my truck is silver birch metallic. Tough color i know...

Dave, I will not be able to make the spring Carlisle show. I will give you a ring on the 28th!