Customer Service 866.965.0400

Advice with Canon Rebel 60d

tony97gt

Hey guys just bought a Canon Rebel 60d and a 17-50 2.8 lens and a 50mm 1.8 lens for my honeymoon this week in Jamaica. I also got a UV, Polarizer, and fluorescent filter to go with it, and a lens hood. I'm very new to nice cameras and photography so any advice for its use this week for amazing pics would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Have fun Tony. This website has a ton of info. Digital Photography Tips: Digital Photography School For your batteries and memory cards, go here B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders Really just have fun with it. This is an excellent basic program and you can try it for free. Doesn't do what photoshop does. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom Had a professional photographer tell me that he uses this program probably 80 percent of the time, as opposed to photoshop. Apparently he had some pictures that he did for Dodge in their Superbowl commercial so I would assume he knows his stuff.

How To Get Started with Lightroom 4 - 10 Things Beginners Want To Know | Creative Suite Podcast: Photographers | Adobe TV

You may want to pick up a decent tripod as well. Manfrotto makes some decent tripods that aren't way expensive.

Edited by LFairbanks

Keep your 50mm on your body when the light gets low. Remember to be cautious when switching lens, debris in the body of your new camera causes lots of troubles. Keep the body facing the floor so nothing falls in the hole while switching. IMO the UV filter is a waste but if it makes you feel safer by all means use it. I like to use several smaller memory cards rather than 1 large one, another precaution to stop a disaster. If shooting sunsets always look behind you, sometimes the colors are better as they reflect off things. Focus on composition, that will make the picture more than any lens or setting. Overall I say have fun and enjoy living the moment rather than trying to document the moment and not actually living it!

You got yourself a pretty good camera there . I also have a 60D and a 50mm 1.8 and a couple of other lenses. Just take your time but as stated enjoy the moment . Don't get caught up worrying about camera settings. You have been given some solid resources that should have you pointed in the right direction. Enjoy and congrats on the wedding and new camera.

Started playing with the camera last night and tonight. Bought David Busch's Canon 60D guide and read the first few chapters. Basically I'm just gonna slap it on auto and go from there. Only thing I really found useful was being able to direct the focus to near or far using the controls on the camera. Been sitting on my bed taking pics of the same pile of clothes with different settings and checking out the differences. Thx guys.

I have that same book for the cameras I have. Really helpful. I have a 50D and a 7D. I have also found the books below in the links to be very well written.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Exposure-Snapshots-Great-Jeff-Revell/dp/0321741293/ref=sr_1_9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366684268&sr=1-9&keywords=exposure]Exposure: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Jeff Revell: 9780321741295: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-3rd-Photographs-Camera/dp/0817439390/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1366684268&sr=1-1&keywords=exposure]Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books[/ame]

The problem your up against is going on a big trip and trying to learn the functions without any real experience. It will come to you in time.

Edited by LFairbanks

I have that same book for the cameras I have. Really helpful. I have a 50D and a 7D. I have also found the books below in the links to be very well written.

Exposure: From Snapshots to Great Shots: Jeff Revell: 9780321741295: Amazon.com: Books

Amazon.com: Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera (9780817439392): Bryan Peterson: Books

The problem your up against is going on a big trip and trying to learn the functions without any real experience. It will come to you in time.

Which camera do you like better? The 50 or the 7?

Which camera do you like better? The 50 or the 7?

They are both good cameras. I personally like the 7D. My wife likes the 50D. I think it is because there are more things to confuse her with the 7 as opposed to the 50. The 7 shoots more frames per second as well.

• 3 weeks later...

You asked for advice on taking amazing photographs...for me, it starts with composition...best advice is "rule of thirds"

With today's camera, almost any camera can take a great photograph...

I currently use a Canon Mark III, IV, 50d, wide variety of lenses from a 400mm to a 15mm, plus I have a Nikon V1, and a Leica V-Lux 4 here in Afghanistan...you just need to know how to use it...

For explanation of the rule of thirds...check out these two links...

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/rule-of-thirds.htm

http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds

Here is a link to my webpage, I am by par no professional...my father was before he passed, but he taught me everything I know...and I have made some money on the side as a freelance photographer...

www.photoshelter.com/user/SFPHOTO

But it is not about making money off your prints, it was about capturing amazing shots...look into the rule of thirds and you will impress yourself and your family!  We can do amazing things with just a camera body and a 50mm lens.

Scott