Customer Service 866.965.0400

Not wanting to make a living at detailing

MrHot88

Question

But now I'm starting to pickup cars,without trying.

Next weekend I have a 2011 Volvo SUV, black. Charging $300.00

Then the following weekend an Escalade, not sure what to charge on this one, $500.00?, it's not too bad but needs some TLC.

Very large SUV.

I tell them I can't do them this weekend per mothers day, they both said they would wait.

When I spoke with them we went over Adam's products, they never heard of him but saw results on two cars I done already.

They're lucky it's not football season.

The demand is here it seems.

Kevin

I'm in the same boat as you I have people coming out of the wood work want to get their car detailed/waxed/corrected. Not really complaining cause with a baby on the way the extra $$ is welcomed. But I don't have a garage so I have to drive 1/2 hour to use my parents.

So far so good,cicgo and meet them at they're home and all had a garage.

Only bad part I have to load up all of my supplies.

This past weekend I did a car here at home, was nice.

Kevin

I'm in the same boat as you I have people coming out of the wood work want to get their car detailed/waxed/corrected. Not really complaining cause with a baby on the way the extra $$ is welcomed. But I don't have a garage so I have to drive 1/2 hour to use my parents.

I did that Sunday was just a quick wash,wax, interior but man am I sunburnt. The 18th I have a black Lexus SUV I'm correcting with my PC. Kit I ordered. What's nice about that its my mothers neighbor.

Everyone I know is a cheap bastard. I tried to detail my buddies massively swirled Mazdaspeed 3 for $50 just so I could get more experience on bad paint and he declined lol.

Consider yourself lucky.

Everyone I know is a cheap bastard. I tried to detail my buddies massively swirled Mazdaspeed 3 for $50 just so I could get more experience on bad paint and he declined lol.

Consider yourself lucky.

Yeah I know what you mean.

Consider yourself lucky.

Lol. I would love to do this for extra cash....but would have the same luck. :lolsmack:

I'd love to hear what people charge for a full correction. I know a broad range of what local joints charge and they don't do even close to as complete a job as all of us would/do. Over a grand, I'll say that much. $300 or more for a full hand wash, and hand wax... Thats NO CORRECTION! Do not short-change yourselves. We need to hook up family and friends, sure, but we also don't need to invest sweat equity without a decent payout from customers, neighbors, etc. I do enjoy the act, but its a lot of work, as we all know. Can someone like Chase throw a ballpark figure out there that we can kind of zero in on as a fair estimate?

Please just make sure you know what you're doing prior to going through with a detail for someone, especially if they are paying. A fender on a new Escalade will most likey cost more than $500 to strip and paint if you make a mistake. If you started a business, incorporate it because having one of your 'clients' take your assets because you failed to protect yourself can really do some damage.

Are you insured? I say because I don't want to see someone come back to this forum trying to say Adam's is responsible because your lack of knowledge. People do crazy things when it comes to money or hurting they're property even if its accidental or you're a friend...again just trying to start anything, but to me it seems like the risk may be to high

Atleast you have the extra time. Or so it seems. I have a hard enough time just trying to get my own done, while the wife complains that I spend too much money on Adams and don't even make a living doing it. :lol: But that goes with just about everything that I have an interest in. Whether it be tools, photography, or anything else, I hear about it...:help:

You got it Chris. Last two weekends I hear, "Are you going to do this every weekend?" Lmao... "Yes, yes I am."

I just love watching the magic happen. Her new jeep has horrific water etching that is going to need many, many passes of severe swirl to remedy. It's terrible. I'll post pics this weekend if I get the chance to get to it.

:rockon:

Please just make sure you know what you're doing prior to going through with a detail for someone, especially if they are paying. A fender on a new Escalade will most likey cost more than $500 to strip and paint if you make a mistake. If you started a business, incorporate it because having one of your 'clients' take your assets because you failed to protect yourself can really do some damage.

Are you insured? I say because I don't want to see someone come back to this forum trying to say Adam's is responsible because your lack of knowledge. People do crazy things when it comes to money or hurting they're property even if its accidental or you're a friend...again just trying to start anything, but to me it seems like the risk may be to high

I understand this completely. But I make sure when I do a job to tell them straight out I am no professional. I do it as a hobby to make extra $$$

I've been doing this for 30 years so not worried about messing up a car, not to say it couldn't happen but chances are it won't.

I'm an enginner, that's my living, not really doing it for the money , I love a good challenge from time to time:)

Kevin

I'd love to hear what people charge for a full correction. I know a broad range of what local joints charge and they don't do even close to as complete a job as all of us would/do. Over a grand, I'll say that much. $300 or more for a full hand wash, and hand wax... Thats NO CORRECTION! Do not short-change yourselves. We need to hook up family and friends, sure, but we also don't need to invest sweat equity without a decent payout from customers, neighbors, etc. I do enjoy the act, but its a lot of work, as we all know. Can someone like Chase throw a ballpark figure out there that we can kind of zero in on as a fair estimate?

I know around here not many cats do "FULL CORRECTIONS" as like we see demonstrated on here. To be honest before getting on this forum and looking at a "AJ" video on you tube I had no Idea. I always thought I was doing a great job just washing and waxing. Then Clay, then polishing. The average Joe has no idea how much better and hotter their ride would like done up tight and right... The first time I polished my ride, could not believe how hot it looked. Once I got the polishing down, then got the MSS on it, it always has the wet look. I get alot of compliments for it.

Far as price, if I tell someone 300.00 they would drop dead on me. I got 2 jobs on the line. One is a 2005 Expedition. Of course it is Black. I told the cat 150.00. He wants the inside tightend up, then the paint done up. I told him I would need the vehicle like on a Friday and he could have it back Monday due to the fact I do alot of Cycling and Saturday I try to ride at least 70-80 miles. Mind you he wants the paint done up right. The inside is dirty and paint lot of swirls. Of course he wants to make sure I use the MSS also. I explained the process. I told him how much I should be charging, but I am not a pro at it so price not what he would be paying.

Same thing on the other job I have, 2010 Mustang. People want it done, but do not want to pay the price,,, They think it is like a 2-3 hour deal.

Usually once they see the difference then it sinks in. Heck once they see how the clay bar ends up, they gasp oh my gosh..... :help: I will show them that also. I will also take photos of the process to show them.

Again I am no pro and let them know it. I will not do a job if I am not sure of it. :rockon:

Edited by GaryW

You are nuts if you only charge 150 for interior and I'm assuming machine polish? Minimum I would charge is $300.

Edit: you are machine polishing. Your crazy for only charging 150. I am doing a correction on a black 2009 VW Rabbit the 29th of June he had it done once for 700. I am charging 300 he's was ecstatic. I understand stand people don't wanna pay but you are robbing yourself at that point

You are nuts if you only charge 150 for interior and I'm assuming machine polish? Minimum I would charge is $300.

Edit: you are machine polishing. Your crazy for only charging 150. I am doing a correction on a black 2009 VW Rabbit the 29th of June he had it done once for 700. I am charging 300 he's was ecstatic. I understand stand people don't wanna pay but you are robbing yourself at that point

That is what I keep saying, :lolsmack::lolsmack: but I take my time with it,,I do not go swirl free, but it looks alot better than it did...

If they want it to look like mine,, swirl free, then I would go more. But as I have said, I am no way a pro at it. If I get it done on the weekend,, then I am ok.

The Mustang I am fixing to do,, 250.00 now. THey want to sell it. So I told them If the car looks a million you get more..

You all need to decide what your time is worth. I have already decided it's unlikely I go pro, or if I did I would ONLY serve high end clients. I can make too much money doing consulting for what I do for a living to do anything less the $200/hr. Sames goes for my photography.... or photoshop work....

That is what I keep saying, :lolsmack::lolsmack: but I take my time with it,,I do not go swirl free, but it looks alot better than it did...

If they want it to look like mine,, swirl free, then I would go more. But as I have said, I am no way a pro at it. If I get it done on the weekend,, then I am ok.

The Mustang I am fixing to do,, 250.00 now. THey want to sell it. So I told them If the car looks a million you get more..

Thats a little better. Hey i just noticed you are in the Villages. a co-worker of mine just retired to there.

For me it's not about the money, I love making people smile when they see what I have done to their car.

However I will make it worth my time also. Lol

$300.00 is fair, for both sides , even though we all know it's worth much more.

Here where I live a lot of people have money, nice cars, homes, etc.

Once they find out you can do something special for them they'll pay and pay what the job is worth, then they tell their friends and you then have more work than you want to do.

As of now I have three cars setup, with OJE of them being a large SUV that's around 1000.00 for all three, that's the way I like looking at it.

I'm sure most of the money will go towards more supplies:)

I charge an hourly rate, because every vehicle is different in size, condition, and what the owner wants done to it. I tell them the rate and what I can do, the benefits of each step, etc, and I ask what they would like done. Then I give them an estimate of how long it will take me to do what they want.

I run into the same issue all the time people want a full correction but think they can have it for 150 or less than want to complain abou the price. I usually just turn them away if its hat big of an issue for them. I work full time and do details in m spare time so I plan to make money to compensate using my spare time. I always hook friends and family up though but that a times gets annoying

Joe

Thats a little better. Hey i just noticed you are in the Villages. a co-worker of mine just retired to there.

Yep lived around here all my life except the 12 years in the Corps. We provide all the concrete for The Villages, they build houses like it is going out of style. Very nice place to retire and live if you can afford it like that. They do about 14 new homes every day right now. Lot of concrete hitting the ground.

:2thumbs:

I know around here not many cats do "FULL CORRECTIONS" as like we see demonstrated on here. To be honest before getting on this forum and looking at a "AJ" video on you tube I had no Idea. I always thought I was doing a great job just washing and waxing. Then Clay, then polishing. The average Joe has no idea how much better and hotter their ride would like done up tight and right... The first time I polished my ride, could not believe how hot it looked. Once I got the polishing down, then got the MSS on it, it always has the wet look. I get alot of compliments for it.

Far as price, if I tell someone 300.00 they would drop dead on me. I got 2 jobs on the line. One is a 2005 Expedition. Of course it is Black. I told the cat 150.00. He wants the inside tightend up, then the paint done up. I told him I would need the vehicle like on a Friday and he could have it back Monday due to the fact I do alot of Cycling and Saturday I try to ride at least 70-80 miles. Mind you he wants the paint done up right. The inside is dirty and paint lot of swirls. Of course he wants to make sure I use the MSS also. I explained the process. I told him how much I should be charging, but I am not a pro at it so price not what he would be paying.

Same thing on the other job I have, 2010 Mustang. People want it done, but do not want to pay the price,,, They think it is like a 2-3 hour deal.

Usually once they see the difference then it sinks in. Heck once they see how the clay bar ends up, they gasp oh my gosh..... :help: I will show them that also. I will also take photos of the process to show them.

Again I am no pro and let them know it. I will not do a job if I am not sure of it. :rockon:

That's too low a price for all that work on that Expedition. I charged $150 for a 2012 4Runner that was in decent shape paint wise. I ended up getting $160 because the owner was so pleased when he came to pick it up.

Consider yourself lucky.

Just a thought, if hes your buddy, then do what I do.

Do the job for free, just get him to help you with the little stuff, and bring the food and beverages. Take tons of B&A pics, have him give you props on any social networking sites hes on, take some of your cards etc.

I have done 4 or so vehicles like this, in fact both of my cousins have recently acquired new vehicles, well one new, one beat to death but I will do both for an EXTREME discount if not free just to get my name and skills into their circles.

Just how I spread my name..