Customer Service 866.965.0400

trouble with swirls on my fiances altima

Periodic

Question

Hey guys,

Decided to break out the porter cable for the second time on Saturday morning.

My first time was a trial section on thw trunk of my g8 where I did 2 passes ssr 2 passes shr and 1 pass fmp. About 95% corrected which was good enough for me.

Back to saturday. Had a wedding in tbe afternoon so decided to clean up the cars in the morning. I started with a two bucket wash, followed by a detail spray and waterless wash towel dry down. This paint was rough, could just here the grittiness on the towel. Then proceeded to clay a portion of the hood. Removed a lot of grit.

Here is a bare paint before shot.

20130518_100649.jpg

Then proceeded to test with shr. I wasnt satisfied so I moved on to ssr. Did 3 passes. Then 3 more shr passes followed by 1 fmp.

Here is an after shot. Id say 60% correction.

20130518_105634.jpg

So..my issues could be that the 05 altima simply has rock hard clear and needs much more attention or the direct sunlight really lowers the

performance of polishing. What are your thoughts?

This is whay I am up againsy once I get my technique down. Maybe ill have to wait for the new producy release which may have deeper cutting abilities.

20130518_094014.jpg

10 answers to this question

I don't have any experience with Nissan clear, but I have noticed that it takes too many passes with the current polishes to get the desired results while using a PC. It can be done, it just takes more passes which means more time.

So youre thinking that its likely the machine? Now what is keeping the pc back? Speed of oscillation? it was in direct sunlight..but it was relatively cool in the morning..below 70 degrees.

My thought is that if the paint is hot, the polish may not get worked long enough for some reason.  I don't know if heat does this for sure, though.  Are you working the polish until it flashes?

The other ideas might be that you are hurrying a little in your movement across the paint and/or the downward pressure on the pad is incorrect.

My thought is that if the paint is hot, the polish may not get worked long enough for some reason. I don't know if heat does this for sure, though. Are you working the polish until it flashes?

The other ideas might be that you are hurrying a little in your movement across the paint and/or the downward pressure on the pad is incorrect.

I just finished watching the dvd..again...and I think you may be right about the speed in which I was moving the machine. Next time I get a chance to get back out ill try it out again. My pads are all air drying right now so it will likely have to be next week.

Edited by Periodic

If the surface is too hot, the polish will dry up before it has a chance to break down fully. Even if it is only 70 degrees outside, if the car is sitting in the sun the surface can be much hotter. I don't have experience with Nissan clear but I would venture to say that it isn't as hard as most others.

G8 clear is soft, and I was able to get about 90-95% correction on mine with just 2 passes of FMP and the white pad. Definitely try to adjust how you move the machine - make sure the pad is SPINNING as well as oscillating  (watch the holes on the backing plate, or even better, make a thick line on it with a marker or a piece of tape and keep your eye on it while working). Don't move the machine too fast and apply the right amount of pressure and you should be good.

Machine polishing takes practice, after a while you will get the hang of controlling it and you will be knocking out swirls left and right.

I have to agree with what has already been said in regards to polishing in the direct sunlight. Even though it's "X" degrees, the surface of the paint will be much hotter, and the vehicle is a dark color which will make your attempt even tougher. No matter what you'll just be rushing yourself to work the product in the sunlight, instead of being able to concentrate on your passes and watching your technique while allowing the product to flash. This will only result in frustrations and undesirable results.

If you do not have a garage try and use some kind of shade such as a canopy. If you have to polish outside try to find when the shade is present from your house or fences. It's also helpful to getting started with the polishing steps real early in the day or in the evening when temps are not at the highest. This way you are not rushing yourself.

And once you get it right, you'll be able to knock out your vehicles with ease and be satisfied with the results.

Never polish in sunlight as said, just defeating the purpose and won't get good results.

I have a PC, works great but you must take it slow, don't rush.

Work it on speed 5, the polish will dry up on you if you work it on six.

Start with the orange pad and the SHR first, put enough pressure while working, you want to see the backing plate turning very slowly , overlapping.

Inspect, if it looks better but not perfect try again, still swirls then move up the the green pad and SSHR , same steps then FMP.

My GMC truck is very difficult to work with being the clear is so hard but I get great results, so can you:)

Kevin

My preferred toll is the rotary buffer but not used as much as my PC, not on my cars anyway.

Never polish in sunlight as said, just defeating the purpose and won't get good results.

I have a PC, works great but you must take it slow, don't rush.

Work it on speed 5, the polish will dry up on you if you work it on six.

Start with the orange pad and the SHR first, put enough pressure while working, you want to see the backing plate turning very slowly , overlapping.

Inspect, if it looks better but not perfect try again, still swirls then move up the the green pad and SSHR , same steps then FMP.

My GMC truck is very difficult to work with being the clear is so hard but I get great results, so can you:)

Kevin

My preferred toll is the rotary buffer but not used as much as my PC, not on my cars anyway.

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately my garage is too small to fit a car (work bench at one end among lawn mower and snowblower stored in there), I was hoping that I got to it early enough before the sun was too hot. Guess I will really have to time it well from now on out for evenings. Maybe start my wash as the sun is falling and start polishing once the peircing heat is gone. Thatll give me 2-3hrs of decent lighting. Take it slow and do the cars in stages. Maybe one night knock off the hood, pillars, roof and trunk. Another nail the drivers side and another thr passenger.

Thanks all for the advice.