Customer Service 866.965.0400

Oxidation?

DirtyBlackHoe

Question

I am looking at detailing my Mother In Laws 2001 4 Runner this weekend and it is in really rough shape as far as oxidation. Is the 2 step process going to have enough cut with the flex to get the oxidation taken care of? Any tips?

19 answers to this question

I haven't tried the new correction polish yet but I'd try it but first wash it real good, clay it.

My guess it's not clearcoat failure, haven't seen it but I've worked on many older Toyota's in the past, they're clear coats is pretty darn good.

As I said I'd try the new stuff first, hearing good things about it, if it's too bad then ithere's a chance that a stronger, more agressive compound would be needed but the Flex will do the job for you either way.

Pics would help.

Kevin

Thanks a ton guys...I am 99% sure it isn't that the clearcoat has failed. My mother in law washes it prolly 2x a month and it sits in a garage when she isn't at work. It honestly looks like oxidation, but I will try to get a picture this afternoon to show you guys.

Just remember with oxidation or single stage paints you will most likely trash your polishing pads due to all the transfer on to them. Sometimes you can save them with some heavy cleaning but most of the time they go in the trash or my wife uses them for art projects.

This is a reason why having multiples of each pad is key.

Just remember with oxidation or single stage paints you will most likely trash your polishing pads due to all the transfer on to them. Sometimes you can save them with some heavy cleaning but most of the time they go in the trash or my wife uses them for art projects.

My RAV4 is single stage black paint, I clean my pads soon after I'm done, no problems.

Kevin

Dang not good...I told her I would do it for free since she is always doing stuff for the family and our kids...maybe I will tell her $50 so I can buy some new pads when I am done

Not really. Single stage responds pretty much the same to polishing as clear coat, the only difference you're really going to notice is the pigment transfer. Whatever the color of the paint is, you'll be getting a ton of that in your pads. It may require more frequent cleanings and I'd most definitely recommend a 2nd set of pads just in case the first gets too clogged up. 

I actually enjoy working on single stage paint jobs, but they are messy. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Dang not good...I told her I would do it for free since she is always doing stuff for the family and our kids...maybe I will tell her $50 so I can buy some new pads when I am done

I would steer clear of charging your Mother in Law for anything...just sayin!

I would steer clear of charging your Mother in Law for anything...just sayin!

hahaha I wouldn't charge her. She is actually my wife's Aunt, but she raised her and has taken care of her since her mother wasn't the best mom. She got upset with me yesterday when I told her I wouldn't do it unless it was for free...so she told my wife to let her know what supplies I use so she can replace them...

Supplies = Beer!  :banana:

agreed...seriously though that lady has been a better mother in law than I could have ever hoped for. She always loves having our kids at her house, can throw down in the kitchen, and is always there for my wife. That is priceless...I wonder if I should use the MF pads on the paint or the foam?

Use foam, MF pads clog up easily as it is. Add in tons of paint transfer and you'll have to clean a ton.

Btw, I hope you're prepared, single stage white is probably the worst thing in the world to polish. The ones I have done have been harder to polish out than any other paint system I have ever encountered on a car by a mile.

I believe it is because whatever the white pigment itself is made of is an extremely hard material.

Edited by ihaveacamaro

Well yesterday I got the urge to give the 4Runner a shot and man what a change...just like that last time I didn't take any before pictures (I have got to remember to do this). It was just cooler (mid 80's) than it was when I did the last vehicle and dusting was very very minimal. I couldn't be happier than how I am with the Adam's 2 step and the FLEX...that thing does some serious work...Here are a few pictures:

2013-06-23165225.jpg

2013-06-23165320.jpg

2013-06-23165242.jpg

2013-06-23165400.jpg

2013-06-23165411.jpg

Edited by DirtyBlackHoe