Customer Service 866.965.0400

The Physics Behind Traffic Jams

Len

I had read a few articles about the increasing use of Adaptive Cruise Control, and how a certain (low) percentage of vehicles using that technology could eliminate most traffic jams. Interesting.

Good stuff, maybe it should be part of the driver Ed curriculum so the new drivers can learn how to drive in traffic from the beginning.

Better yet make a video of this and play it in the waiting room at the DMV. Also, as you suggest make it part of both written and driving tests.

BTW over the road truckers get this. I can't count the number of times I've seen big rigs 3 or 4 abreast across all lanes of traffic going at low speed but not stop and go like the traffic a few miles ahead.

Edited by sportredmistress

One of the biggest things, if not the biggest, when it goes from 2 lanes to 1... They warn you WAY FAR AHEAD to get over... but you get that one guy who stays in the ending lane until the last second possible and then slows everyone down because he is more important. Had everyone got over when the signs first started showing up, it wouldn't be an issue at all and traffic would flow smooth.

One of the biggest things, if not the biggest, when it goes from 2 lanes to 1... They warn you WAY FAR AHEAD to get over... but you get that one guy who stays in the ending lane until the last second possible and then slows everyone down because he is more important. Had everyone got over when the signs first started showing up, it wouldn't be an issue at all and traffic would flow smooth.

Probably my biggest pet peeve in the world is that guy.

It can be argued both ways.  Most people do merge too soon, causing traffic to back up further away from the merge point.  Traffic is still congested.  If, like the article says, people approach merge points with reasonable gaps, both lanes should be able to be used in full effectiveness up to the end of the merge.

I personally tend to merge over sooner than later, mostly because I know everyboth tailgates in the queue and I don't want the stress of having to force my way into a spot.

Here, on the main expressway, there's always traffic right in the middle of it. In both directions. Why? Because there's a hill...and people are too STUPID to realize that you need to give the car more gas to maintain your speed when going uphill. There's even brightly lit LED signs that say "incline, maintain speed" but people just don't get it. 

It's amazing the technology that goes in to creating your average car...yet the intelligence required to get a license to drive one is just above an amoeba. 

We have a similar situation.  Recently hundreds of millions, if not billions were spent to expand it from 2 lanes in each direction to 4.  No noticeable decrease in traffic.  You drive on this section of expressway in offpeak hours and you will find 25% of traffic slowing down from a cruising speed of 110kmh (65ish) to 80kmh (50ish).   Then you have a chain reaction of brake lights to maintiain safe distance when passing opportunity cannot be had. Then insert main article above.