Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte vs Gloss Carbon Fiber

j-r35

Question

So I'm looking at purchasing a AMS cf trunk for my gtr.  Was wondering which type of cf, matte or gloss would be easier to maintain?  Also is it ideal to get it clear bra'd to prevent rock chips?  Living in Alaska, we have tons of gravel and rocks all over, wanted to prevent as much damage to it as possible.  

7 answers to this question

Yeah, figured gloss would be treated as paint but how about matte?  Anyone have any experience w/maintaining matte cf and if its easier?  Looking at purchasing around Aug-Sept so wanted some opinions first.

Yeah, figured gloss would be treated as paint but how about matte?  Anyone have any experience w/maintaining matte cf and if its easier?  Looking at purchasing around Aug-Sept so wanted some opinions first.

Matte is clear-coated just like gloss - there just isn't any revlectivity to it.  Some companys make products geared towards matte finishes - such as specialty gel-coat glazes and waxes - but they can be a bit pricey (PM me and I'll point you in the right direction).  If you don't want to go that route, just wash it along with the rest of the car, but do not take any cleaners/abrasives to the finish.

I had matte/dry carbon fiber on my ZO6.  It was NOT cleared in any way.  Just the resin or whatever they put over the carbon weave.  You could not polish it at all. 

Is it matte or dry carbon?

IMO, I would go with the cleared/glossy CF, looks better to me as well.  I wouldn't clear-bra it...and if you are getting rocks/rock chips on your deck lid, you must be 4x4'ing that GTR!!  Stop it!  lol...

Yeah I thought matte you can't polish or wax it.  I know for sure you can do gloss.  Just was a little worried if I went w/matte it would be a little harder to maintain.  I'm still waiting on the design for the trunks at the moment to decide which route i'll go.  May just end up doing the matte look since I have matte rims already.  I'll post up the pics of the design once they're up.  

As far as clear braing, i'd think i'd do at least the hood because rocks get kicked up all the time and don't want to damage my 2k+ hood, lol.  Baron, i'll pm you but I'm pretty sure I know which product you're talking about. 

A lot of people think Matte is easier to maintain, but its actually the opposite... its a nightmare to maintain and easily damaged/not easily repaired. 

You can use our quick sealant on matte for protection if you like. We also recommend either waterless wash or (as odd as it sounds) glass cleaner in place of detail spray for wipe downs. 

Personally - If a car is a driver I wouldn't do matte finish... if it was more of a toy that I could keep garaged except for shows/cruises/pleasure then I'd consider it. 

Edited by Dylan@Adams