Customer Service 866.965.0400

Coffee Stains on Interior Headliner

puttingmyfootdown

Question

Hey all,

New to the forums as well as fairly new to detailing. I'm doing a full detail(Steam Wash, Clay, 2 step paint correct, sealant, glaze, americana) on a friends 2007 Subaru outback when we can find a mutual time after the 4th of July :patriot: . The one thing I am definitely unsure of is, how to approach removing the coffee stain, well more of a splatter, they somehow got on the interior headliner.  I have a Dupray Industries Hill Injection Steamer and figured I'd take the triangle tool with a microfiber on top and give some quick bursts of steam as not to soak the headliner and risk the glue holding it from coming off (if indeed there is glue). Anyone experienced with the cleaning of headliners via steam, APC or the like? Thank you!

8 answers to this question

If the headliner is cloth, you can spot-treat the stain with CUC, then go over with the steamer. You actually might not even need the steamer after using Adam's CUC...depends on how bad the stain is. 

Thank you GerryC! It's not all concentrated in one area, more of like a big splash. I'm waiting for my C-UP cleaner to come in later this week and will try it out, will hit it with the steamer if the cleaner alone can't get it all out. Will Snap a few before and after pics for the results.

hi!

I have the same problem. I also managed to stain the headliner of my brand new Jeep Liberty with coffee! 

Haven't been able to get it clean. It splashed all over! Even got behind the sun visor, I don't even know how that is possible. I'm going to try the above mentioned tips, thank you both btw. I have a steamer coming tomorrow and going to try and find the Adam's carpet and ...cleaner. Can't wait to get them out!

Just wanted to know what you did and how it turned out, if possible.

CUC is a GOTO Adams product, inside the auto and in the home.... this is one of the Adams products I SWEAR by... results have to be seen to believe fully...

A quick squirt and a little agitation (with a soft brush) and then a blotting/slight twisting with an MF towel will AMAZE you!

Edited by gencoupe3dot8

Well Adams strikes again.

First tried hitting the coffee stains with the triangle tool on my steamer covered with microfiber. Pssssh, it basically did nothing but make the headliner wet. I abandoned machines and went straight to Adams Carpet and Upholstery cleaner. Really like the fact their is no sudsing action.   I sprayed the cleaner directly onto a 1" by 1" section of a clean microfiber, then I pressed onto the stains, agitated, then blotted/twisted dry like gencoupe recommended. Thanks!!

Well Adams strikes again.

First tried hitting the coffee stains with the triangle tool on my steamer covered with microfiber. Pssssh, it basically did nothing but make the headliner wet. I abandoned machines and went straight to Adams Carpet and Upholstery cleaner. Really like the fact their is no sudsing action.   I sprayed the cleaner directly onto a 1" by 1" section of a clean microfiber, then I pressed onto the stains, agitated, then blotted/twisted dry like gencoupe recommended. Thanks!!

We need before and after pictures!