Customer Service 866.965.0400

Strip wax

G8chick

Question

16 answers to this question

You can do an IPA wipedown of each panel.

This will not strip wax. After doing dozens of tests on many different cars with quality LSPs (one such being Americana) with different dilutions, techniques, etc, that is the conclusion I have made. 

Edited by ihaveacamaro

If you're polishing the car, you could really just forego the stripping process.  But if you still want to take off whatever is on there: Do you have a bucket you can bring with you?  1.5 oz of Adam's car wash with 2 oz of APC in your wash bucket is a great cocktail for stripping anything off of your paint.  If not, Revive will take off sealants/waxes off easily as well.  I would personally stay away from any sort of IPA mixtures due to their potential to damage finishes, especially when diluted improperly.

Frank, have you ever damaged paint with IPA?

Nope - but I've seen it happen a few times on older single stage as well as more modern finishes.  The damage appears like a faint hazy stain on the finish.  For the most safety when using IPA wipe downs, don't go too far past a 15% mixture.

After 4 months there probably isn't that much left on the car anyway (unless it's a sealant), so claying would work fine. If it was a fresh coat, I'd use clay as a last resort to remove it, as the wax could gunk up the claybar

Nope - but I've seen it happen a few times on older single stage as well as more modern finishes.  The damage appears like a faint hazy stain on the finish.  For the most safety when using IPA wipe downs, don't go too far past a 15% mixture.

10 to 15% is my normal dilution as well. However, I have tested up to 91% on various paints and never got any damage to a paint finish.

From what I have learned is that higher dilutions of IPA can open the pores of paint that will make it more susceptible to damage but it will not damage paint in and of itself.

This will not strip wax. After doing dozens of tests on many different cars with quality LSPs (one such being Americana) with different dilutions, techniques, etc, that is the conclusion I have made. 

I agree with Roshan.  I've witnessed sooo many tests of people try stripping with IPA alone and it will not remove wax/sealants like a lot of people think.  Waxes will be easier to remove than sealants FWIW, something like a paint cleaner (revive for example) or prepsol cleaner will work the best.  APC will work too i believe.  

IPA is good for removing POLISH residues.  

Edited by billabongbum

Still have very good beading

I know some people were saying that a properly prepped & clean surface will still bead water without the presence of wax/sealant. just not as tight & uniform as a LSP.  

I know some people were saying that a properly prepped & clean surface will still bead water without the presence of wax/sealant. just not as tight & uniform as a LSP.  

This is absolutely true. If you google just half a test, you will see a few videos I made that show that even a clean surface sheets water. On that hood (which is half waxed and half un waxed, but clean) I often see beads after it rains all over the hood although the waxed side has the best beads.

Edited by ihaveacamaro