Customer Service 866.965.0400

Silicon caulking on paint

blueheed

Question

Hi folks,

I got some silicon caulking on the roof of my truck, it has set and has been on for at least a few weeks. Does anyone know what might be able to help me remove this fromt the paint without causing damage?

I have washed it and tried a few methods. People suggested a light polish to see if it would bring any of the caulk off, it did not. I also tried using rubbing alcohol to soften the caulk, did not work. I even tried turtle wax tar and bug remover which did not work.

Is there any technique or product that you know of that may help me out? I know I could probably use a razor blade, but that scares the heck out of me on the paint!

Thanks!

Todd

Edited by blueheed

8 answers to this question

You're going to need something with a pretty aggressive solvent to soften it up... if you can find it (not sold in all states) 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover has served me well in the past when nothing else would work. 

Avoid getting it on any trim, plastic, or vinyl. 

Thanks! I will try that solvent, as most of my products I use on my car are Adam's products I consider you guys the experts, this is why I came here for help. Thanks so much, I'll give that a try.

The 3M adhesive remover didn't work at all really, maybe it is too hot the solvent kept evaporating. I also tried Goo Gone silicon caulking remover, it worked a little but It involved a bit more scraping with a plastic scrapert than I preferred. Was still hard to get the really lightly smeared silicon. I might try some fingernail polish remover but my hopes are limited. I'm tempted to try the eraser wheel, but I don't have a buffer and it sounds like that is gonna start adding up in money to purchase both. What I may do is take it to a body shop and see what they might suggest, or even have them do it themselves if it won't be too expensive. Very frustrating!

I paint signs and sometimes people get a little carried away with the silicone and it gets on areas I need to paint. The best way I have gotten silicone off is to rub it fairly aggressively with my finger until it all crumbles off, then wipe the area with wax and grease remover (like ppg dx330)to get the greasy residue off. Of coarse I'm working with bare aluminum and not a painted surface. Good luck!

Have used lacquer thinner or Methyl Ethel Keytone, have to work on it sometimes. Will not hurt car finish but something recently painted will clean paint off also. It will break down the RTV so you can gently rub it off with your finger/soft cloth....