Customer Service 866.965.0400

DWC help please

SS LeadFoot

Question

Okay so I have used this product several times and I love it! Works great on the wheels and makes every wheel look like new. My question is that every time I use it I get brown streaks on my tires. Has anyone else experienced this as well? The product works so well that this wouldn't discourage me from using it, just wondering if anyone has a method on how to prevent this or if I am using it wrong.

23 answers to this question

I don't do the APC on he tires afterwards but I know this will eliminate the brown streaks but  I don't want to use the APC on the tires every time I wash the car. My process is spray one wheel let it sit for 2 minutes then use the turbo stick on the inside then wipe the rim down with a cloth. After that I rinse everything. After that I wash the rims again and the tires with car wash soap then dry. I use a different product than Adams on my tires it begins with a Z and ends in an O. Could it be that?

I knew I saw this before.....Possible Problem with DWC

No answer there as well.

I see Chase and Eric's point, but I think I have used almost every iron/metallic fighting wheel cleaner out there, plus a lot of water based dressings and never had this problem.

Just used Adam's DWC the other day, but had a different tire gel on each side of my car that wasn't SVRT(I'm weird) and didn't have this problem.

The only thing I can think of is that your tire dressing isn't completely covering your tires, so those areas that aren't covered get dirtier than the rest of the tire, and the DWC is pulling out the extra dirt. But I've never seen or heard of this problem before

Okay so I have used this product several times and I love it! Works great on the wheels and makes every wheel look like new. My question is that every time I use it I get brown streaks on my tires. Has anyone else experienced this as well? The product works so well that this wouldn't discourage me from using it, just wondering if anyone has a method on how to prevent this or if I am using it wrong.

You mean you see the brown streaks after cleaning the tire before applying your dressing? If that is the case then Google "tire blooming".

You mean you see the brown streaks after cleaning the tire before applying your dressing? If that is the case then Google "tire blooming".

Blooming is the cause of tire browning like Ryan has posted.

So, maybe the DWC exposes the browning by degrading the tire dressing as it comes in contact with it? I haven't had this issue with any wheel cleaner actually degrading any of the water based dressings I have used.

Yes it does go away once I apply the tire dressing. I know I apply it evenly I spent two weeks applying tire dressing every morning before I put the wheels back on. Lol no I'm not joking. I think it has to be the tire stuff reacting to the dwc. Wish they could get a long lol. I will take a pic when I get home and show everyone exactly what I'm dealing with. I think I may have to find something that stops the running of the dwcor try super vrt which I'm sure will be just as great as what I'm using.

Are the tires wet when you are using DWC on the wheels?  This looks like dirt streaking down the tire from the wheel, which still has some cleaner in it, which is either removing the dressing that's on there, or merging with it and creating streaks.

Very weird... never seen that myself. 

Are you cleaning the tires before or after you use DWC?

After

Are the tires wet when you are using DWC on the wheels?  This looks like dirt streaking down the tire from the wheel, which still has some cleaner in it, which is either removing the dressing that's on there, or merging with it and creating streaks.

I wash the tires after I use dwc with car wash soap only. The wheels and tires are completely dry when I do it.

Are you using DWC every time you wash? Or are you sealing your wheels and using car wash soap to knock everything off?

I have sealed the rims and use car wash soap to clean them every time. I use dwc every other time I clean them.

I don't do the APC on he tires afterwards but I know this will eliminate the brown streaks but  I don't want to use the APC on the tires every time I wash the car. My process is spray one wheel let it sit for 2 minutes then use the turbo stick on the inside then wipe the rim down with a cloth. After that I rinse everything. After that I wash the rims again and the tires with car wash soap then dry. I use a different product than Adams on my tires it begins with a Z and ends in an O. Could it be that?

I don't see this being as much a problem with the DWC, but I do see a flaw in your process. If you're going to use DWC during a cleaning session, you should be prepared to use APC to clean your tires during that same session as well. You mentioned that you don't want to use APC everytime and while I can appreciate that, it doesn't make sense to not use APC on the tires when you use DWC on the wheels. The DWC is most likely disolving whatever is on the wheels and the tires and that mess is not being completely removed from the tires when you use only car wash to clean them. If you want to skip APC when you are not using DWC (and I still don't recommened it as I recommend thoroughly cleaning your tires with APC on every wash) that would provide you with better results than your current process.

Edited by 02Xtreme07ss

Yep that looks like Tire blooming; previously mentioned. That's why your tire is brown, so I'm pretty sure this is the problem.

What you'll need to do is clean the entire surface with APC until there is no more brown. Sometimes the brown just wont go away. It also depends on the tire manufacture as well: some bloom more and some bloom less.

Once you completely scrub the tire and get rid of the brown, apply your dressing and always apply dressing every wash. (As long as it's water based dressing, which Z-16 is and I'm assuming you're using that)

Blooming will probably come back and when it does; repeat the process.

Edited by BKazzle

I don't see this being as much a problem with the DWC, but I do see a flaw in your process. If you're going to use DWC during a cleaning session, you should be prepared to use APC to clean your tires during that same session as well. You mentioned that you don't want to use APC everytime and while I can appreciate that, it doesn't make sense to not use APC on the tires when you use DWC on the wheels. The DWC is most likely disolving whatever is on the wheels and the tires and that mess is not being completely removed from the tires when you use only car wash to clean them. If you want to skip APC when you are not using DWC (and I still don't recommened it as I recommend thoroughly cleaning your tires with APC on every wash) that would provide you with better results than your current process.

I am sure my rims get more dirt and brake dust on them than my tires. Plus the more tire stuff I use it builds up and protects better. If I wash the tire with the APC then it strips the tire down to jus the rubber. That is why I don't want to use the APC as much. I think it is the dirt that comes off mixed with the DWC. I think what I will do is jus wipe the wheel down after spraying or get some cardboard and hold it there to stop the drip, unless anyone has any other ideas.

I am sure my rims get more dirt and brake dust on them than my tires. Plus the more tire stuff I use it builds up and protects better. If I wash the tire with the APC then it strips the tire down to jus the rubber. That is why I don't want to use the APC as much. I think it is the dirt that comes off mixed with the DWC. I think what I will do is jus wipe the wheel down after spraying or get some cardboard and hold it there to stop the drip, unless anyone has any other ideas.

In all honesty, your tires are getting just as dirty (if not more dirty) than your wheels. Not only is brake dust leaving your wheel and coating your tire, but you drive on roadways made of asphalt that have tons of dirt, oil, and every other fluid you can imagine on them. Trust me, if your wheels are dirty, your tires are dirty.

Like I said in my other post, by using a strong cleaner like DWC on the wheels, as it runs off them and onto your tires, it is removing some of the dirt from the tires as well. This is most likely the cause of your streaking. I know you said you don't want to remove your dressing because it 'builds up and protects better', but you are doing just that when you use DWC on the wheels anyway.

You still don't have to clean the tires with APC everytime as you have indicated you don't want to do, just use the APC on the tires each time you use DWC on your wheels. Not only will this eliminate the streaking you are experiencing, but a clean tire will always look better and be better protected than a tire that just has multiple layers of dressing on it. 

Gottcha! Thanks to everyone for all the helpful info. I will only use the dwc when I have the time to do the APC as well. I will try the gwc and see if that works as we as the dwc does for me. Thanks again everyone.

It will. GWC is just as awesome at getting the dust and dirt off as long as it hasn't been left to cake on for a while. For personal use I used DWC for the initial cleaning and as long as I can manage to clean my wheels at least once a month I don't see why I'll need anything more powerful than GWC.

Edit: The forum changed me typing dwc (in upper case) to the full word title...that's pretty cool. DWC GWC

Edited by DonJuan692006