Customer Service 866.965.0400

New to Adams What order for wax and seal?

meltd0wn

Question

Hi guys after receiving my first order of Adams im keen to get into the garage to do some serious detailing.

I would also like to strip all the crap off the paint that the dealer used on the car prior to me taking delivery.  As when i bought the car i didnt have anything decent to properly care for the paint.  Will dish washing detergent do this?

I pretty much purchased as much as i could i have everything for interior and wheels as well as pretty much everything except for polish.  But i cant seem to find a definite answer to the correct steps.

I know the following steps to be as follows

Wheels

Exhaust Tips

Engine Bay

Wash 

Rinse and Detail Spray

Clay Bar

Wipe Down

and then im stuck

Do i wax then seal or is it the other way around?  I have Americana Paste Wax and quick sealant if that is any help.

My car is a 2012 Focus ST in performance blue.

Edited by meltd0wn

7 answers to this question

Wax always gets layered on top of sealant if you're using both.

As far as stripping wax, there are really no guarantees on "what will get stripped from what."

People claim dawn, people claim an APC, people claim IPA...

I personally mix APC in my foam gun. Then onto claying which will help remove some LSPs as well, but the ultimate is machine polishing with a paint cleaner or finishing polish on a pad dedicated for that only.

I agree with Beemer that watching the videos really does help.  

I personally mix about 3 oz of APC in with my car shampoo bucket while washing the car and that seems to strip all previous wax and/or sealants.  

You will want to make sure you apply sealant (in your case Quick Sealant) to clean, bare paint.  Then you can layer the Americana over top of that.  (Brilliant Glaze is really popular to layer in between those two by the way)

First off welcome to the forum..

Add an ounce or two of APC to your wash bucket with the Shampoo and perform a wash as normal. This will strip off whatever the dealer used on the paint. Don't use dish soap as that will dry out your weatherstripping and rubber trim.

After you finish claying, remove the DS residue from the surface. Then move on to Quick Sealant. Once applied and the residue removed, wait about 15 minutes so the sealant can bond and cure, and you then can apply your Americana on top. If you are used to liquid waxes and have never used a paste wax before, I strongly recommend reading this post.

Feel free to post up any other questions

First off welcome to the forum..

Add an ounce or two of APC to your wash bucket with the Shampoo and perform a wash as normal. This will strip off whatever the dealer used on the paint. Don't use dish soap as that will dry out your weatherstripping and rubber trim.

After you finish claying, remove the DS residue from the surface. Then move on to Quick Sealant. Once applied and the residue removed, wait about 15 minutes so the sealant can bond and cure, and you then can apply your Americana on top. If you are used to liquid waxes and have never used a paste wax before, I strongly recommend reading this post.

Feel free to post up any other questions

That was just the next question i had thanks mate