Customer Service 866.965.0400

Detailing costs for a car

jstephen

Question

So since I had been using the Adams products, I had restored my families cars a few friends cars and also did my parents older cars. I had taken one to another friends barbecue a few weeks back. We got to tailing about the detail job on one of them just because of how bad It was.

That conversation led to them asking about detailing a coule of the cars they have.

So.. What would you charge for detailing a custom dodge truck, another car and a 41 Willys hot rod? Non of these cars are in terrible condition. The truck would require the most work just because of the size, and there are a lot of swirls on it from washing it.

Would you charge by the hour or the job?

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

8 answers to this question

Your probably going to get a lot of different opinions on this.  My thought is do what makes you feel good and the person your doing it for feels good about.  Whether it be hourly rate or by the job.  I would suspect by the job in this instance would be the way to go.  If anything your just going to get more experience out of it.  And if it is something you enjoy doing don't look at as a money maker, but something you enjoy doing and gaining of experience.  As your experience dictates you can then expand on your prices.  The biggest key IMO is to do good work. 

What to charge depends on a few things - like your local market and what prices it can support and also your skill & experience levels, which is often overlooked when it comes to pricing.  It might sting to hear it, but if you're new to detailing and in a middle/mid-high income area, your work isn't worth that much...despite how much effort you put in or whether you use OTC, Adam's, or $10/ounce car wash solution - that's just the name of the game.  PLUS, these are people you know, so they're already looking for cheap whether they show it or not.  Don't use any experience you may gain as a factor in your pricing unless you're starting a business soon - even then it should only be about 5% max.  Fill in these blanks with your own situation, Jordan(or anybody else that's looking to detail for $$$), and let us know what you come up with:

Average Area income?

What are other detailers in the area charging for similar work?

How much detailing experience do you actually have?(washing moms car when you were 9 does not count)

What are you offering?  As in, what does your detailing menu look like so you don't end up wandering out of scope of the job and underselling yourself?

if its any indication.  I took time on my car and i was at it 10 hours.  I am payed $26 an hour at work so that is what i would be charging. I used around $90 worth of product add on an extra hour for cleaning all your gear and you should be sweet.  For me because i work in the service industry i would be charging a service call as well.  Within 15 miles a flat rate probably about $10 or 15 dollars.

I only speak because recently at work we have revamped our charge rates and stock pricing.  If i can think of anymore ill edit later time to jet its an hour drive home :)

if its any indication.  I took time on my car and i was at it 10 hours.  I am payed $26 an hour at work so that is what i would be charging. I used around $90 worth of product add on an extra hour for cleaning all your gear and you should be sweet.  For me because i work in the service industry i would be charging a service call as well.  Within 15 miles a flat rate probably about $10 or 15 dollars.

I only speak because recently at work we have revamped our charge rates and stock pricing.  If i can think of anymore ill edit later time to jet its an hour drive home :)

IMHO, Unless you detail for a living, charging what you make at your other job doesn't sound fair to me.  Not trying to sound mean, so please don't take it that way.  Yeah, there is a lot of different product involved when detailing a car properly, but 90 bucks in product seems high to me especially for a Ford Focus (sorry if I got the make and model wrong).  I don't even think I use that much when I do my full size pickup.   Unless your paying a lot more for your stuff than I'am.  

Back to my first statement.  You may be slower, for example than someone who details every day all day long.  And to a customer that may be paying you an hourly rate they may think your milking them for all that is possible.  Not saying this is the case, but just something to think about, from the customers perspective.  And then if you tell them that is going to take only 4 hours and it takes much longer than that it could manifest into a mess and cause discontent between you and the customer.  Especially when your starting out, word of mouth is going to be your best advertisement.  Especially if it is something you want to pursue on the side.  

Just an example. I'am finishing a basement for someone.  Am I fast?  No.  But I'am picky and do things right, and don't cut corners.  I flat out told him that I didn't want to do it, if he didn't want it done right, and was looking to cut corners.  He saw mine, and seeing my work is the reason he approached me later on to do his.  He asked me to come up with an hourly rate, which I did, which is less than half of what I make at my day job.  The hourly rate that I come up with isn't making me a ton of money.  It isn't about that for me.  The experience and enjoyment is what is more important to me than the hourly rate.  And we both feel like where getting a good deal and developing a friendship out of it.  He even commented to me that he can tell I enjoy that kind of work.  I also laid out on the table that I'am not licensed and insured, but I do feel confident enough in my skills and knowledge to where I'am not going to put myself in a bad situation.  Now if I did this all the time on the side, licensing and insuring would be a priority and for that, along with more experience I could command a higher wage.    

But the most important thing as I mentioned in my other post is do a good job, and don't cut corners.  Even if it cost's you time.  Learn from it and adjust for the next situation.  And if it isn't something you don't enjoy doing and are just looking to make a buck from it, you probably shouldn't be doing it.  And stick to doing your own rides.

Edited by LFairbanks

snip

Totally agree.  I was speaking from working in a service type of role.  Where i am i have to justify my time all the time.  Even though my pay rate is decent for the job im in i have to show the boss the work i can get done in an average day.  im facing the same problem though i have had a few people ask me since monday if i was interested in doing some cash jobs and there is no way i can ask them for what i am payed.  I think i would get laughed at.  

Its up to you in truth.  Ask yourself what is your time worth to you? as long as you can replace your product and make a little on the side you should be right.

I don't like to charge friends or family for anything.  I can see having them pay for the products that are used, but I feel better not exchanging money with family or close friends.