Customer Service 866.965.0400

How do I ----- Get started

taur72

Question

Hey guys, Totally new to detailing the right way....

Been looking at products and the youtube channel --- so many choices

I just got a 2014 Tundra Crew Max (Sky Silver/Leather) and I'm looking for some new products to keep her all cleaned up here in North Florida.

I'm looking for 6 things - and not trying to break the bank (truck was enough!!!)

1.) Shampoo

2.) Tire/Interior Trim Dressing (non glossy if possible - Flat)

3.) Carpet cleaner

4.) Wheel cleaner

5.) Wax or Sealant

6.) All propose cleaner (inside and out)

Any help would be great.....

Thks - Pete

post-11462-0-58197000-1395967824_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

It won;t be too long before your first 6 things turn into 600 things... Trust me. 

First lets go over a couple things, the Car shampoo, remember to use a quality wash mitt/pad like the ones Adams sell. Two bucket wash with grit guards. One for shampoo one for pad rinse. 

Second, Dressings, SuperVRT leaves almost like a semi-gloss appearance. For the interior you'll want to use the Adams Interior Conditioner, matte (flat) finish, leave a protection of like SPF 15 or something. use the applicator pad for best results.

Third, Carpet cleaner, kind of simple on this one. Spray, scrub, wipe away with MF towel. If you have cloth seats, no NOT use the stiff carpet brush on the seats. It isn't great for them. To clean the seats use a soft brush. If you have leather use Adams leather cleaner using a MF towel then the leather conditioner

Four, Wheel cleaning, Green wheel cleaner should work for most people. Or even diluting the car wash shampoo will work in most cases. You'll want to find a dealer and buy that wheel brush, the lug brush and the fender brush, they are a life saver. They save pads and time. 

Fifth, waxes and sealants, use a good sealant, like Adams new liquid paint sealant for long lasting protection. Most people seal, glaze, then wax. Remember the let the sealant cure before putting anything else on.

Sixth, APC (All purpose cleaner), This is good for inside the fender, inside the engine bay, and cleaning the tires. APC has WAY more uses then you can shake a stick at. And do NOT let it dry either.

Seventh, GLASS, Nothing is complete like clean glass, Adams glass cleaner and glass towels will make even the dirtiest windows, clean. 

Eighth, Clay, Clay and detail spray go hand in hand, Detail spray is handy for almost everything. That should be on your list as well. Clay will grab anything left behind or not cleaned by a wash mitt. When you apply wax to a not clayed finish there is a chance the wax could grab and create a swirl. Something no one wants. 

Ninth, Towels, no wash is complete with out MF towels to go with it. The great white drying towel will dry your truck in a jiffy. the utility towel is good for the carpets and other areas, and the double soft towels take off wax and sealant residue like it's water. You can never have enough of them.

And last. A beer. Because when you're done, a beer makes everything, so much better. 

Sorry for the long post though. There is a lot of good information around here and I hope I didn't miss too much. It wasn;t too long ago when I started with those very same 6 products.. But I was always taught, do it right, and do it right the first time.

Great -- thanks for the input... I'll be placing a order soon

Glad I could help! You really had all the basics. I wish you luck on your order and don;t forget to post pics when you detail it!

Pete, I would recommend starting with a few kits:

• Adam's Car Wash Trio - Car Wash Shampoo, GWDT, and Wash Mitt
  • Add 2 Grit Guards for you buckets (5 gallons)
  • Adam's Tire & Trim Combo - SVRT (leaves a satin finish on tires), APC, and applicators  - use Car Wash or APC diluted 50/50 with water for wheels
  • Adam's Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner - this stuff works great on carpet!
  • Adams' TID - for basic interior cleaning and protection
  • Protection depends on how often you want to apply - every few months - Buttery Wax, twice a year - LPS