Pressure washer

Retired_CPO

Pressure washer?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Pressure washer?

• Yes
    • No

Question

I just voted for yes, but if you have sufficient water pressure and a good hose/sprayer you should be all set under normal conditions. I also thing you can never have too many tools/too many tricks in your bag so to speak. They are also good for other things around the house other than detailing.

I totally agree with you there Mike. You can never have enough tools.

My water pressure is decent for what it's needed for...washing clothes, showers, etc.. but when I am washing cars....I always find myself wanting just a tad more pressure. I know I probably just answered my own question but I guess I am trying to get advice from the folks who have more experience than I do.

Thanks for your input!

I voted yes. You never know when you might need one. I think it comes in handy sometimes. For example, mud on undercarriage bottom of car/truck. We use it a lot on our four wheelers . I would say 1500 psi is good. It is just enough yet not too much on the wide setting.

Hi Steve- Are you going to be mobile? If so, will you be using a truck, or a trailer?

(I don't mean to be a snob here!) Either way, both of the pressure washers that are linked above are unfortunately in the "TOY" category.

You will be much better off with a Honda-powered unit, with pneumatic tires, like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Excell-Powered-Pressure-Washer-XC2800/dp/B0014T9AA2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1234389510&sr=8-4

or:

http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Powered-Pressure-2600-PH/dp/B000PGVU9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1234389510&sr=8-2

That's the way to go!:thumbsup:

If you wash in your garage you need electric !

Agree 100% Chris, and I should have mentioned! You don't need an engine running in your garage for all kinds of reasons:

1. Death by carbon monoxide poisoning would be bad.
  2. Deafness by engine running for long periods, also bad.
  3. Blasting the texture off your drywall, VERY bad.

Been watching the photos by JunkMan, and must say, having a garage where one could wash would be ideal!

Thanks Chris for clarifying, and you wash in that nice garage?:thumbsup:

Do I have a garage...yes..but I can't wash inside it.

Thanks for all the advice...looks like I'll be investing it a quality gas unit seeing as I'll be mobile most of the time.

Once again...thanks everyone...this is why I love this place!

yeah...too much power would be a bad thing.....

As long as you keep it on a medium to wide setting and don't get it to close to the paint you should be ok. I would say anywhere from 1500-2500 psi. At least that's all I have needed before.

An old boss of mine went and bought a larger model than was pictured earlier in the thread. His first time out with it, he wasn't paying attention. Probably didn't know what he was doing and ended up removing a 3" x 5" patch of paint off the hood of his 3 month old Silverado. One shot across the hood and the paint went flying. I assume it was cranked all the way up, but either way, it cost him dearly.

On the other hand they sure are handy and quick...