Customer Service 866.965.0400

Weird Paint Issue

Fear Ls1

Question

I'm hoping someone can help me with this issue i'm having with my cars paint. I've had this issue for awhile, and ill think I've fixed it, but then it comes back. The paint looks like it has terrible water etchings everywhere. So, i polished it out, and the paint would look great, with no scratches, swirls, or water etchings. So of course after I finished polishing it, i waxed it. Then a couple days later I'm looking at the hood(where the water etchings are the worst) and they are all back again, like I never polished them out. During that time it was never in the rain, or even out in the sun for long, since at the moment it sits in the garage. It is 16 year old paint, but the paint looks flawless for its age. I have this same issue with other panels on the car, but they are not near as bad as the hood. I just polished the hood and got all the etchings out and put 2 coats of quick sealant, so we'll see what happens. I just think it is the strangest thing ever. Its like its coming up under the paint, but I can polish it out every time.

5 answers to this question

Looks like water etching or bird poop.

Chances are the etching wasn't gone. I've noticed that in my garage it can look like my paint is perfect but once I get it in the sunlight you can still see faint etchings. Sound like your case?

All you can really do is just polish it more.

Edited by Kingsford

Are you inspecting with sunlight and/or an LED/bright inspection light after you're done polishing, or just with garage lighting?

I'd suspect they are not truly gone during the polishing process, and that polishing oils may be hiding them for a short time after the polishing process.

What machine/polish/pad combo have you been using?