Customer Service 866.965.0400

For Detailing Sleuths: The Case of the Mysterious Haze

samers

Question

This area first appeared immediately after doing paint correction using Correcting and Finishing Polish with microfiber pads. I added Liquid Paint Sealant afterwards but I think the trouble started before that. When I first noticed the trouble area, it was about a third of the size. Some adhesive-like residue formed when I rubbed it with my finger. I did an extra IPA wipe down and made another pass with the polishes. Didn't help. After a week, I stripped the sealant and wet sanded the area with 3000 grit. Then as long shots I tried APC, Super VRT, and 3M adhesive remover. Nothing has worked and I am out of tricks and sickened by this imperfection. I didn't get any blue paint transfer when I wet sanded so I don't think it is clear coat failure.

Is this easily repairable or will it require the trunk to be repainted?

post-2598-0-78733100-1405123711_thumb.jpg

post-2598-0-61701800-1405123735_thumb.jpg

post-2598-0-03334200-1405123755_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

Do you have a paint thickness gauge? Looks like the beginning of the clear coat disappearing. Even though you didn't get paint transfer doesn't mean its not close. 

Does the spot feel different? Rough? Sticky?

Did you clay the paint prior?

Do you have foam pads or a different polish you can try? I'm just throwing it out there to eliminate what product could have caused this.

Edited by Kingsford

Interesting.  Keep us updated.  It could be the clear coat failing at the basecoat level.  Looks similar to what I have on my drivers side front fender and that is what the guy at the body shop told me as I'm going to have the car repainted some time this year. 

I clayed the area before the correction. I forgot to mention that reclaying the area was the first thing I tried because it felt like the area was caused by some gunk. I have plenty of foam pads and the products from the three step system. I didn't mean to imply that this may have been caused by any product. Rest of the car is flawless. I am at a loss as to why the clearcoat would fail when my car is extremely well maintained, garaged, and protected. Car is less than five years old.

The area generally feels smooth. If you rub your finger forcefully into the area, some residue develops similar to the residue left behind by a sticker. That is what led me to reclay the area.

A paint gauge is one of the few detailing gadgets I do not own.

Edited by samers

Is this a new car? My vw had some similar spots like that when I first got it, and it drove me nuts and I eventually stopped thinking about them. Then a year later I went to look for them and they were gone. I kinda chalked up it up to the paint taking a long time to really cure/dry (for lack of any better expalanation).

I hate to say it but it appears as if the clear is starting to fail.  What is troubling is the 'residue' you are getting from rubbing the area vigorously.  You should not be getting any type of residue or anything from 'good' clear.

I don't know what type of car it is, or what the paint/finish/body warranty is, but I would start there with a trip to my local dealer and see what they say.  (I would forgo mentioning any of the 'detailing' you did or anything you tried to remove it incase they want to base voiding any warranty off of that)

Good luck and please keep us posted...

No change after wetsanding but I did not get any blue in the runoff either. I did notice another spot yesterday on the edge of the rear fender that was exhibiting a similar effect.