Customer Service 866.965.0400

Thoughts on pricing for detailing

DJJimGreen

Question

Hey all!

I'm looking to get as much feedback as possible on what is considered "normal pricing" when it comes to the different options that go into a detail. I know a lot comes down to location and what's the going price, but I also wanted to know what YOU charge for different things.

I'm in Vegas and we've got some companies charging anywhere from $200-500 for anything from a detail, to the opti-coat, front bumper sealing, etc. Do most do hourly? Or do you lump it together?

Here's what I'd love feedback on...

What do you charge for:

Basic Wash/Interior Wipe down -

Wash/Clay/Wax

Wash/Wax/Seal/Glaze - 

Wash/Paint Correction/everything else

I'm sure you get the idea.. Anyways, if you could, please shoot me your thoughts. :)

Thankst

7 answers to this question

I have packages with tiered pricing depending on vehicle size. It gives better value for the customer this way and a list of services performed in each package. This helps set expectations as well and I have found customers generally will go for a larger package in most cases.

For anything more than a 2 step polish I charge a flat hourly rate, just due to the nature of paint correction work.

Also I offer Ala-cart options as well like glass sealant and pulling wheels to fully detail them.

Look at what price point others in your area are charging, and how they have their packages. Don't just copy what they have. Develop packages based on what products you use, and can actually perform. Factor in if you are doing this as a mobile business as well. If you are going to be offering to drive to your customer, that demands more money as well.

I have packages with tiered pricing depending on vehicle size. It gives better value for the customer this way and a list of services performed in each package. This helps set expectations as well and I have found customers generally will go for a larger package in most cases.

For anything more than a 2 step polish I charge a flat hourly rate, just due to the nature of paint correction work.

Also I offer Ala-cart options as well like glass sealant and pulling wheels to fully detail them.

Look at what price point others in your area are charging, and how they have their packages. Don't just copy what they have. Develop packages based on what products you use, and can actually perform. Factor in if you are doing this as a mobile business as well. If you are going to be offering to drive to your customer, that demands more money as well.

Good stuff, I appreciate the feedback. I know it's weird, to ask for others pricing, but I'm just trying to get all of my thoughts together as I start to roll out a plan for my business. It's a lot to take in.

Also, I tend not to take a job unless I see the car first hand and agree to a price. Mommy cars always demand more time, so that means more money.

^^bingo. I love the "how much will it cost" question as if I can give them an out the door price without seeing the car.

I literally had customers not show up and blow off appts because they wouldn't bring me the car in advance to get a price prior to bringing it, yet they requested an accurate quote prior to getting the job done. They expect me to tell them a blind number and negotiate with me with the vehicle sight unseen.

^^bingo. I love the "how much will it cost" question as if I can give them an out the door price without seeing the car.

I literally had customers not show up and blow off appts because they wouldn't bring me the car in advance to get a price prior to bringing it, yet they requested an accurate quote prior to getting the job done. They expect me to tell them a blind number and negotiate with me with the vehicle sight unseen.

That's a great point I've never really considered. If they couldn't come in for an estimate, just go with "sight unseen, I'll say 600 dollars." Haha