Customer Service 866.965.0400

Cool Story - Autism and a Carwash

chas

Don't know how many of you guys read Jalopnik, I am sure many do.  They just posted a really neat and heart warming video of a family whose son/brother has autism and they wanted to find a business that would employ him and create value and purpose for him, but wanted to do it together.  They started a carwash that employs over 30 a individuals with autism.  This article and video made my day and is extremely heart warming.  The power of family, compassion, and the want to make a difference in people's lives is incredible.  

Edited by chas

As an autism parent this story really cut to the core of me (shared it on FB a few days ago).

Tanner is only 8 years old now, and all our efforts on a day to day with him are getting him integrated into the world. People on the spectrum so often just don't function in the world as it is. Rather than focusing on academics we focus on functional/practical things - like feeding yourself, dressing yourself, learning to stay away from danger.

There is a very scary reality to our lives in that some day I won't be here anymore, my wife won't be here anymore and there won't be anyone left to take care of our guy - so I worry almost constantly about what will become of him. Will he be able to work? Will he be able to live on his own? The stories you don't hear are those of the kids on the spectrum when they become adults on the spectrum - many end up homeless with no one to care for them. I start to get choked up just thinking about these gentle souls and what a cruel reality they're faced with when theres no one left to care for them. 

With places like Rising Tide Car Wash and Roses for Autism (an all autism staffed florist) there are small pockets of hope for those on the spectrum to find a place in the world and contribute. My deepest wish is that there are more and more of these places in the world as the rate of ASD diagnosis continues to rise.

I'll step down from my soap box now... thanks for sharing Chas.