Customer Service 866.965.0400

Am I Doing Something Wrong?

Blackdevil77

Question

I love all of the Adams products and never had a problem with anything. The ONLY thing I seem to be having a bit of a problem with is drying the car with the waffle weave great white microfiber towel. For some reason, it always seems to leave very very light, fine surface scratches in the finish. I don't even want to call them swirls marks or anything, they are VERY fine and light, but it's still happening regardless. I'm pretty sure the washing process isn't the culprit, I was very careful and paid very close attention to everything I was doing every step of the way, and the scratches appear to be coming from drying the car. I don't press hard or anything, I fold the towel, and let the weight of my hand do the drying. 

The biggest, most noticeable scratches are on the tail light high gloss plastic areas. The Adams paint correction polish and finishing polishes get rid of the scratches with ease, I just would rather not have the scratches happen in the first place. 

Here's the plastic by the tail lights that I'm talking about. Car is a 2014 Shelby GT500. You can't really see the scratches in the pictures, but they're there. 

DSC00011_zpsrby7huvv.jpg

DSC00128_zpsuuhve8my.jpg

Here's the car

DSC00150_zpsicxfmhzn.jpg

Isn't dusting cars especially forbidden here?  :D

I would hope not! In the spring, the car is green every 20 minutes, no way can I wash the car every 20 minutes or use waterless car wash. I'd go through about 19 gallons a day!

I would hope not! In the spring, the car is green every 20 minutes, no way can I wash the car every 20 minutes or use waterless car wash. I'd go through about 19 gallons a day!

You'd be surprised what pollen will swirl.  This is when diluted rinseless in spray bottles pays for itself.  I keep multiple bottles of rinseless diluted to QD ratio around.

You'd be surprised what pollen will swirl.  This is when diluted rinseless in spray bottles pays for itself.  I keep multiple bottles of rinseless diluted to QD ratio around.

I'll try doing that from now on. I never noticed any swirls from using that duster, but diluting some of that rinseless stuff can't be too bad. 

Why don't you just keep about 30 MF towels soaking in a bucket of rinseless (3 gallons with maybe 2 oz of Rinseless), then every 2 days or so just give a quick rinseless wash using GDWM and a bottle of 16:1 diluted rinseless as a pre soak?

Fast, efficient, safer way to clean light dust and pollen every couple days than hoping the duster doesn't mar IMO

Lubrication is always better, over time the duster used dry WILL scratch. It's just the nature of it

Why don't you just keep about 30 MF towels soaking in a bucket of rinseless (3 gallons with maybe 2 oz of Rinseless), then every 2 days or so just give a quick rinseless wash using GDWM and a bottle of 16:1 diluted rinseless as a pre soak?

Fast, efficient, safer way to clean light dust and pollen every couple days than hoping the duster doesn't mar IMO

Lubrication is always better, over time the duster used dry WILL scratch. It's just the nature of it

That's interesting, I'm gonna start using waterless wash I guess. Should I use a double plush towel or should I use that waffle weave towel? I can't tell from the videos, but it looks like the double plush is a softer towel. 

Also, let's say I'm at a car show. What do you guys recommend I do to keep the pollen and dust off of the car while at a show? Just keep going over it with the waterless wash?

I have a 1 gal pump sprayer from HD that I put 1oz of rinseless in with 1 gal of water.  I use that to presoak for rinseless washes.  I tend to prefer dual knap towels for my rinseless, plus on one side and shorter on another.  I tend to use the plush side for washing which gives me 4 sides, enough for 1 section.  Then I wring it out and flip/fold for the short nap unused side and dry most of the water off the panel.

This is all personal preference though.  For the towels that Adam's offers I would prefer using double softs.  I tend to feel that a fluffy ~470gm such as a single soft is a little to soft/flimsy when completely soaked in solution and won't hold the square shape as well.

As far as car shows go.  I have the small Adam's detailing bag as my Emergency Detail Bag that I keep in the car.  Glass Cleaner, Detail Spray, TID, QD diluted Rinseless and multiple towels stay in there at all times.  Rinseless or RTU WW for car shows and plenty of good towels.

I have a 1 gal pump sprayer from HD that I put 1oz of rinseless in with 1 gal of water.  I use that to presoak for rinseless washes.  I tend to prefer dual knap towels for my rinseless, plus on one side and shorter on another.  I tend to use the plush side for washing which gives me 4 sides, enough for 1 section.  Then I wring it out and flip/fold for the short nap unused side and dry most of the water off the panel.

This is all personal preference though.  For the towels that Adam's offers I would prefer using double softs.  I tend to feel that a fluffy ~470gm such as a single soft is a little to soft/flimsy when completely soaked in solution and won't hold the square shape as well.

As far as car shows go.  I have the small Adam's detailing bag as my Emergency Detail Bag that I keep in the car.  Glass Cleaner, Detail Spray, TID, QD diluted Rinseless and multiple towels stay in there at all times.  Rinseless or RTU WW for car shows and plenty of good towels.

I gotta get some of this rinseless stuff, I just watched their video onit. 15% off with the spring sale is nice to  :)

Edited by Blackdevil77

Sounds like you have a plan for drying and dealing with dust while avoiding scratches. :2thumbs:

IMO, ways to get swirls and scratches, in order of scratch potential:

1) Forced air drying with a dirty vacuum hose.

2) Dusting with anything, even a Swiffer.

3) Contaminated drying towel (likely from #1).

The first two have been discussed, but also make sure your GWDT is getting proper care: proper washing and drying, safe storage, and careful use.  A properly cared for MF towel in good condition should not be scratching.  I have seen where people will hose the towel off and then hang it on a fence to dry outside overnight, which is going to lead to contamination and scratching.  Or even just leaving it out on a shelf in the garage to collect dust.

That's interesting, I'm gonna start using waterless wash I guess. Should I use a double plush towel or should I use that waffle weave towel? I can't tell from the videos, but it looks like the double plush is a softer towel. 

Also, let's say I'm at a car show. What do you guys recommend I do to keep the pollen and dust off of the car while at a show? Just keep going over it with the waterless wash?

Yes the Rinseless is very versatile.  Now we have to be more specific, when you ask what type of towels to use, are you asking about Waterless (spray and wipe on a dry surface), or Rinseless?  For Waterless washing, which should only be reserved for honestly a quick wipedown after a drive just to remove the dust from the day, the blue waffle weaves Adam's sells are good for that.

Personally I don't do spray and wipe cleaning.  Maybe after the wash, or after the polishing/sealing session, when I know the paint is already 100% clean, then I would.  But even after a day's drive, it is not only more efficient, but more lubricating and SAFER to just take a couple towels out of a bucket soaked with Rinseless, and do a quick Rinseless wash.

Out of the towels Adam's sells for that I would use the single or double softs, maybe even the All Purpose towels.  I wouldn't use waffle weaves for the actual wash, you want some nap to encapsulate dirt.  Waffle weaves recommended for drying with a rinseless wash method.

I use Adam's Great White Microfiber Drying Towels but as previously mentioned, give the surface a good spray of Detailing Spray. This has helped reduce fine scratches. 

Edited by Mr. T

05 Mustang here.
The paint is incredibly soft. Mine is dark blue, could only imagine black.
I have literally scratched it by my finger nail hitting it as I was waxing the car.

I use a lot of detail spray while drying. It helps a bunch. I also go through three - four drying towels to keep them clean.

I'm new here, just wanted to throw out an idea since this thread has educated me on why I should avoid using a vac as a blower.

I have a BMW with the glossy jet-black plastic B-pillars, which seem similar in finish to this Mustang taillight part. While I can keep them in great shape by being careful, I know that my passengers won't care and mostly will use the pillar to shut the door, reversing all my good work.

I realized that it's probably one of those spots where Xpel or other clear film protectant will be my best bet. If you buy in bulk it's not expensive, and if you can disassemble the taillight the installation is definitely doable (especially for us detail oriented people). My 2 cents...

My drying routine went from...

Detail Spray w/ a Great White 

Detail Spray w/ Leaf Blower & Great White 

MB Sidekick w/ Detail Spray(Where its needed) and Double Soft(2ea)

Using the the Sidekick and a Double Soft has made my drying routine enjoyable actually. I recently ordered the Jumbo Towel to take the place of the 2 Double Softs. Feels like it cuts down on Detail Spray usage also.

Using the the Sidekick and a Double Soft has made my drying routine enjoyable actually. I recently ordered the Jumbo Towel to take the place of the 2 Double Softs. Feels like it cuts down on Detail Spray usage also.

My drying routine: Master Blaster

Don't touch the paint = no chance of swirls/scratches.

For future reference, one should not use a leaf blower that is used in the yard because dust can get caught in it causing adverse affects.

(Not saying thats what you do but some might get that idea)

Unless it has a filter, any leaf blower could introduce dust/dirt to the party regardless of where it is used. I guess it all comes down to how clean the environment is where the drying is done. The ground is wet when I dry so I get very little debris stirred up.

^This.  Make sure your blower is filtered and using a good hose.  Even if its filtered, make sure the filter is clean by cleaning it or replacing often.  Also, two things about blow-drying the vehicle:

-Unless your garage is cleaned every other day, do not pull your car in the garage to blow dry after the wash, there is way too much dust and dirt on the floor of a garage that can get kicked up

-Make sure the ground around the vehicle is 100% wet and damp before blowdrying so you don't kick up any dust/dirt from the ground around the vehicle outside, usually this isn't an issue with a traditional wash